rural Western Australia

cfjurgens

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2015
Hi! I am in SW WA in a small town we moved to recently, waiting to buy acreage.
I have 16 girls , all recently acquired (2 groups of 8, a few weeks apart). 3 are Isa Browns the rest are tiny x breeds. Silkiexbantam and speckledxfrizzle, and two which I think might be pekins. They are all rehomes and the Isa look like ex battery rescues. Facts/history scarce.
They are pets and we love watching them and trying to understand their roles and personalities and relationships.
I don't even eat eggs and the 8 first hens are laying like crazy having gotten fat and happy. The others have only been here 24hrs.

Last edited:
Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Glad you joined us at Backyard Chickens. We have a large aussie community here at BYC. You might like the Aussie thread "Australia, six states and one funny little island."

Hi and :welcome from South Australia nice to see more Aussies around :frow Sounds like you have a nice flock, if you have friends or family who do eat eggs I'm sure they'd enjoy them. Freshly laid eggs make a great gift, we're always giving them away even with just two laying hens. Too many :lol:

Fierlin I had a crazy egg baking day and made the family bacon and egg pi
es and smoked salmon spinach quiches

Always fun to see what folks do with their extra eggs..I sell them,
then buy their food with what I make. Works out great. Even with
just a few laying hens at once. In the summer, I usually have 5
that can free range. They can't free range very easily in the
winter here..too much snow, no grass or bugs. :D

welcome-byc.gif

Your quiche looks good! Sometimes you have to get creative with the egg surplus. We sell a few, eat a lot and the extras go back to the chickens as a treat (cooked first).

Thanks for joining us!

Fierlin I had a crazy egg baking day and made the family bacon and egg pi
es and smoked salmon spinach quiches
Yum! They look really good! I wish I was better at baking or more motivated to do it, because homemade stuff always has that nice taste about it :p

V easy! You could buy pastry.As for filling- I just made it up as I went. 40 (!) Eggs from bantams, half a kilo of cheese grated, some milk a little self raising flour then in the big pie added bacon and salt and in the quiches smoked salmon, dill and spinach and whacked them into the oven. Just about my worst nightmare food wise but apparently delicious!

Back
Top Bottom