Russian Tumblers??

ReseisCL16

Songster
9 Years
May 17, 2014
Hey there all!

I'm back with more pigeon questions! Since I first bought Portuguese tumblers 3 years ago, I have absolutely fallen in love with pigeons! Now I've got a loft full of white Homers and a smaller loft for my Ports. I love to watch them dive and swoop (although I've yet to see any tumbling out of my Ports ;)).

All that to say, I've had some serious hawk problems at my house. Neither of my pigeon flocks are going to be let out of their aviaries any time soon, not until these hungry hawks move on. I can't even walk outside my house without a hawk screaming above me. After these attacks, I've only got three Ports (1 old mated pair and their female yearling) left and just seeing them alone makes me a little sad. So I was looking into buying them some fancy friends.

And that's how I stumbled over the Russian Tumblers. There's a Russian Tumbler breeder only an hour from me, and that piqued my interest. From what I've read online (there's not much), the Russians seem to be even-tempered and small birds. I really just need some fun birds, nothing aggressive or too big for my Ports to handle. My remaining Port cock (G.I. Joe, brown/white) is pretty spicy, but I don't want him to get run over by the newbies. Plus, I don't want my two other hens getting bullied.

This is a picture from when the white yearling female was still a squeaker, but you can see the stature of the adult Ports, if you are unfamiliar with the breed. :) I don't think that they stand above 6 or 7 inches tall and their beaks are teeny tiny.

20190722_155821(0).jpg

Does anyone have experience with the Russian Tumblers? If so, or from what you've heard about them, would they be a wise choice for my little flock?

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

Hey there all!

I'm back with more pigeon questions! Since I first bought Portuguese tumblers 3 years ago, I have absolutely fallen in love with pigeons! Now I've got a loft full of white Homers and a smaller loft for my Ports. I love to watch them dive and swoop (although I've yet to see any tumbling out of my Ports ;)).

All that to say, I've had some serious hawk problems at my house. Neither of my pigeon flocks are going to be let out of their aviaries any time soon, not until these hungry hawks move on. I can't even walk outside my house without a hawk screaming above me. After these attacks, I've only got three Ports (1 old mated pair and their female yearling) left and just seeing them alone makes me a little sad. So I was looking into buying them some fancy friends.

And that's how I stumbled over the Russian Tumblers. There's a Russian Tumbler breeder only an hour from me, and that piqued my interest. From what I've read online (there's not much), the Russians seem to be even-tempered and small birds. I really just need some fun birds, nothing aggressive or too big for my Ports to handle. My remaining Port cock (G.I. Joe, brown/white) is pretty spicy, but I don't want him to get run over by the newbies. Plus, I don't want my two other hens getting bullied.

This is a picture from when the white yearling female was still a squeaker, but you can see the stature of the adult Ports, if you are unfamiliar with the breed. :) I don't think that they stand above 6 or 7 inches tall and their beaks are teeny tiny.

View attachment 2432069

Does anyone have experience with the Russian Tumblers? If so, or from what you've heard about them, would they be a wise choice for my little flock?

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!
Sorry about the hawks. Can you toss your homers to allow them to fly without the hawk pressure?

I don't have knowledge on Russian tumblers. sorry. But I don't like to cross breed, ever. If you keep them together, it may happen. Have you considered getting more ports? I get that it is exciting to get new breeds, but its best to stick to fewer breeds if you ask me. Plus, ports are a struggling breed that don't need mixed blood added to the confusion of their pedigrees. But, it is up to you!

Sorry about the hawks. Can you toss your homers to allow them to fly without the hawk pressure?

I don't have knowledge on Russian tumblers. sorry. But I don't like to cross breed, ever. If you keep them together, it may happen. Have you considered getting more ports? I get that it is exciting to get new breeds, but its best to stick to fewer breeds if you ask me. Plus, ports are a struggling breed that don't need mixed blood added to the confusion of their pedigrees. But, it is up to you!

I unfortunately do not have the space to breed my birds much, so I'm very on top of taking away eggs. I know this sounds a little silly, but I'm really just looking for a companion for my lone Port female. :) I'm a bit of a sucker and I really just want everyone to have a mate out there. (Perhaps a bit quirky, I know.) Would the Russian just not be a good idea at all for keeping with the Ports, in your opinion then?

X 2. All to often birds fall into the wrong hands and are then sold as pure stock. Many crossbreeds are beautiful birds and for those that are not experienced it is often difficult to spot. Last spring my wife bought me homers for my birthday; gorgeous birds, but not what I wanted at all (crossbreeds). Now my loft is filled with them and I just don't have the heart to tell my wife that she got took.

I unfortunately do not have the space to breed my birds much, so I'm very on top of taking away eggs. I know this sounds a little silly, but I'm really just looking for a companion for my lone Port female. :) I'm a bit of a sucker and I really just want everyone to have a mate out there. (Perhaps a bit quirky, I know.) Would the Russian just not be a good idea at all for keeping with the Ports, in your opinion then?
I started with 2 cockbirds and six hens. The 2 males covered all of the females along with their own mates. Just sayin' your hen may not be as lonely as you think and may have a happier life as a mistress than being bossed around as a wife. Since you are swapping out the eggs there's no worry about her having to raising babies on her own. If you want her to have a mate, of course go for it! :)

X 2. All to often birds fall into the wrong hands and are then sold as pure stock. Many crossbreeds are beautiful birds and for those that are not experienced it is often difficult to spot. Last spring my wife bought me homers for my birthday; gorgeous birds, but not what I wanted at all (crossbreeds). Now my loft is filled with them and I just don't have the heart to tell my wife that she got took.
How are your birds doing? I'm still good to give you a few good ones if you want (well, I think they are good. Proven 500-720 miles) this spring when I breed some, maybe a trade for some chickens? What breed of chickens do you have? :)

Back
Top Bottom