Ruth the good hen

KyCoop

Songster
Oct 23, 2020
Central Kentucky
Hello fellow chicken folks. Can I just brag on my good hen for a sec. I have a 3 yr old Black Australorp named Ruth and she is second in command. Ive always known she is a good hen from how she was a couple of years ago when I had another hen that we suspected to have had a stroke. She had neurological problems with balance and of course was a target for the other hens but not a worry with Ruth. Peggy would face plant in the treat plate Ruth was eating from but Ruth would just eat around her and never once pecked her.
A couple weeks ago I got 2 new pullets about 12 wks old. Of course all the other hens are chasing and pecking them (normal pecking order stuff) but not Ruth. She lets them share her treats and that's awesome because of her status the others will not come near and run the babies off. Ruth is an awesome hen and Im so happy to have her.

Hello fellow chicken folks. Can I just brag on my good hen for a sec. I have a 3 yr old Black Australorp named Ruth and she is second in command. Ive always known she is a good hen from how she was a couple of years ago when I had another hen that we suspected to have had a stroke. She had neurological problems with balance and of course was a target for the other hens but not a worry with Ruth. Peggy would face plant in the treat plate Ruth was eating from but Ruth would just eat around her and never once pecked her.
A couple weeks ago I got 2 new pullets about 12 wks old. Of course all the other hens are chasing and pecking them (normal pecking order stuff) but not Ruth. She lets them share her treats and that's awesome because of her status the others will not come near and run the babies off. Ruth is an awesome hen and Im so happy to have her.
Awwww she sounds sweet. I have one black australorp and she is the turd of my bunch!!! 😬 Always growly.

She sounds like a sweetheart. :love
Do you have any pictures of her?

This is not a great picture. She was broody and I had taken her out of the nest box so she was puffed up and growing. I will get another one today as she has just finished her molt and is gorgeous.

Attachments

• 20230505_170409.jpg
    20230505_170409.jpg
    987.6 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom