S F Meat Rabbit vs Cal/NZ Meat Rabbit Grow Out

ive never learned the palpatation method,,,never practiced as you suggested either. be a good trick to learn.

i test breed every doe, every breeding. ive not had a problem as of yet. but ive read before what you posted, so no doubt it can occur as stated.

Aww come on now for some of us there's nothing better than pasture raised rabbits.

The sun just breaking over the trees, glistening on the snow.

The crunch of the snow under your feet and seeing your breath as you move into position.

Turning Jessie and PT out to nose for a scent; then the sudden explosion of snow and movement in the brush pile as they take off baying in hot pursuit.

Listening for the sharp bark of grandpa's old weather beaten 12 gauge then waiting to hear a whoop or a curse to know if you needed to get your gun ready or wait for the next hot track.

Then at the end of the afternoon sitting on the tail gate swinging your legs drinking hot chocolate retelling events of the day, and of previous trips out.

PT and Jessie are long gone, but those childhood memories won't ever go.

I did not test breed them at 14 days. I heard that was not good to do. I put each doe in with the buck for 5 days then back in their own cages.

The one that was supposedly due has not kittened yet. The other one is due in a little more than a week.

Should I wait a few more days as I left the females in for 5 days, then reintroduce the doe to the buck? Should I try the same buck again, or the other one?

Snow, this is my method. i put the doe in with the buck. usually he jumps right on it. if she doesnt accept him with in the first minute, usually she wont. if she refuses him in the next 5 min. i take her out, and try again the next day or so.

ive never had a doe be picky about what buck she bred to. so id say put her with what ever buck you choose.

i dont like to leave them unattended. damage can be done. and i dont even count a breeding unless i see it happen. so thats why i pay rapt attention to whats going on, cause it can be over in a blink of an eye.

then i test breed, usually the doe will refuse the buck,,,growling and running, but you can t count on them growlin. if they do, im happy cause thats a tell tale sign they are pregnant.

but each doe is different. i have one now that will growl when she doesnt want to breed. and ive had more than a few, that will growl and complain if you go int to pick them up to test breed. they dont want to be messed with....this also is a good sign IMO.

I watched for the first half hour or so with each doe, but the pairs were left together for 5 days.

In the first pair, the buck rubbed his chin on the does back and kept following her 'round and 'round, I didn't actually see them breed.

In the second pair, the buck jumped on the doe, but he was on the wrong end, he tried very hard, but again I didn't stay long enough to actually see them breed. I'm pretty sure he figured out which end was the right one though.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend who leaves her does in with her bucks for a few days but I don't. I always watch. I am also worried about damage being done - not by fighting but by too much lovin' and snugglin'. I have wooled rabbits and if one starts to give the other a hair cut...oi! >.< That can take them off the show tables for half the year! I don't have that many to spare so I'm very careful about everything.

I watch for it but if they don't go on their own, I'll either take the doe out and try a few days later (she might be in the mood then) and that works for half the reluctant does. The other half that are reluctant....I try table breeding. Stretch doe out on carpeted table, shoulders low or held down, hind end lifted, then stimulated just by light touching. That usually gets a high lift from them. I place the buck over the doe and, if he's not too much of a gentleman, he'll get the idea and do his job. After table breeding, I can usually rebreed (done 8 - 10 hours after first breeding) in the cage because the doe seems more willing.

Ah, and that is another reason I always watch to see when the mating takes place - so I can count the hours for the rebreeding. Because rabbits ovulate when bred, it is important to rebreed when the eggs are in prime position - usually 8 - 10 hours after the first breeding. I've used the 10 hour method with the best results.

And then, of course, I palpate 11 - 14 days after the first breeding. If she palpated negative, she goes right in with the buck again. Palpating increases my production because is saves me months of waiting and guessing in a full year's time.

Quote:
I wouldn't count on it. Love crazed bucks are pretty blind.
roll.png
lol.png
Their shenanigans are why breedings are well attended here. You can usually hear laughter coming from the barn on those days. Silly bucks.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom