S F Meat Rabbit vs Cal/NZ Meat Rabbit Grow Out

I don't think there is any one "right" way but it never hurts to see what others do and give it a whirl.
wink.png

Good luck!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I wouldn't count on it. Love crazed bucks are pretty blind.
roll.png
lol.png
Their shenanigans are why breedings are well attended here. You can usually hear laughter coming from the barn on those days. Silly bucks.
lau.gif

and thats a reason why im observing. sometimes you gotta push the ol boy around to the right end, sometimes you gotta pull the doe out away from the sidewall of the cage, or corner, so he can get "lined up" if not he'll hit a side/end and go to town, gettin no where, and exhaust himself. sitting in a cage all day/every day,,,they aint in the best of shape.

and because of having to move them around, thats why i feel its important to handle the buck from youth up. perhaps not pick up and hold, but rub / pet on him, so he is used to you touching him. i had a buck one time that i got when he was older, and anytime you touched him he'd jump off and head for the corner, took extra time, and i aint about waitin.

Wendy'sChicksRock :

Quote:
hu.gif
You okay?
hugs.gif

yes, but meat rabbits... The thought makes me want to
hit.gif
I'll be fine .. ( lol )
Thanxs for the
hugs.gif

We just had to put down 2 of our show bunnies... snuffles... it was hard​

Not trying to be rude but that is why Sharon put this thread in the meat section, to compare 2 types of meat rabbits and how they grow out. If you don't like the idea please don't look or turn this into a debate and get the thread locked.

Thanks
Steve

One thing I have noticed between the two is the SF kits are very active. They are running all around their cage and seem to never sit still while the NZ/Cal mixes are still in their nest box. I wonder how that is going to effect the weight gain between the two? Since both batches are over 3 weeks old, I am taking the nest boxes out today. That should give them some more room in their cage.
Sharon

Good sign, I put a nesting box in with the next doe that is due, and she LOVES it, scratches and digs, and snuggles and sleeps in it (not pooping in it). Yay!

I'm going to try and breed the first doe again today, we'll see how it goes!

Quote:
is she jumpin around,,,in and outa the box with mouthfuls of nesting material? if she is, shes starting to nest.

sleeping in it would make me wonder.

Quote:
Are you bucks young? Is this there first time mating? The bucks usually do the mating within the first few minutes when I put them together. I never walk away and leave them alone. The doe can turn around and hurt the buck then he will not want to mate again.
Good luck.

Quote:
Here is the update on the 4 week old Silver Fox litter - weight in oz

18 + 14.2 + 18 + 18.2 + 19.2 + 15 + 18

Here is the updated picture of them and mama:

SF11-14wksold.jpg

They are growing so fast and their fur is coming in nicely. They are super friendly and curious. They are starting to nibble on the carrots too.

I will update the Cal/NZ mix on Wed night when they are 4 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom