S F Meat Rabbit vs Cal/NZ Meat Rabbit Grow Out

i know last winter, my pure NZ buck lost interest in breeding, but it was later in the winter, he was young and rather *ahem* vigorous during the spring summer, fall... and im assuming the light had something to do with it...i culled him, i dont tolerate that kinda nonsense...i had a pure chin buck that always was interested. so i had no need for a buck that suffered from limbido.

Quote:
Here is the update on the 4 week old Silver Fox litter - weight in oz

18 + 14.2 + 18 + 18.2 + 19.2 + 15 + 18

Here is the updated picture of them and mama:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/sandspoultry/Rabbits/SF11-14wksold.jpg

They are growing so fast and their fur is coming in nicely. They are super friendly and curious. They are starting to nibble on the carrots too.

I will update the Cal/NZ mix on Wed night when they are 4 weeks old.

11-3Calkits.jpg

Here is the update on the Cal/NZ kits, at 4 weeks old in oz

22.6 + 17 + 20.4 + 19.4 + 19 + 17.4 + 16.4 = 131.6
and the Silver Fox were 120.6 that is only a difference of 11 oz.

As for food the Silver fox kits and mama ate 26 cups and the Cal/NZ kits and mama ate 28 cups plus I give them 1/2 to 3/4 of a carrot every 2 or 3 days.
I am thinking the gap is closing on the weight between the 2 litters. To the eye the Cal/NZ look bigger and longer but the weight is saying different. The SF kits are more active. At the 2 week point the weight difference was a whole kit but now it is about 3/4 of a kit.

Next weigh in will be at 6 weeks of age in 2 weeks.

Regarding the most recent update...I was hoping that would happen!

I was wondering...if I can find a purebred NZ buck, would anyone be interested in tracking the grow out of a Flemish Giant x NZ cross vs. the pure bred Silver Fox? I've got Silver Foxes and a Flemish doe that need to be bred soon. If I can't find a NZ, I know there are Satins and Californians in the area. That might work, too.

i myself am always interested in this type of thing. alot to learn from a thread of this caliber.....not just mundane chit chat, but actual education. good stuff

Love this tread i have my eye on a silver fox buck. I want to add a little new blood into my commercial nzw rabbits. Was hoping to breed the color out but retain all the good trait the silver fox has. Did not think about the dark skin will that bred out to? I sell to a commercial meat processor so everything has to be rew or rew with grey tips. I just wanted some new blood and hopefully a friendlier rabbit and i know the Flemish is to bonny so was looking at breds and the silver fox sound like a good rabbit.

Quote:
that is exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread. If anyone else has meat rabbits that are due soon, please feel free to include your own grow out information. This thread could help a lot of people down the line, including myself.
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom