S F Meat Rabbit vs Cal/NZ Meat Rabbit Grow Out

Quote:
I do not know what the cross would work out for you since you sell to a commercial processor. I am wanting to breed the SF buck to the Cal/NZ doe the next time around in January. You can check back in Feb. to see what the cross looks like (hopefully).
Sharon

Quote:
I do not know what the cross would work out for you since you sell to a commercial processor. I am wanting to breed the SF buck to the Cal/NZ doe the next time around in January. You can check back in Feb. to see what the cross looks like (hopefully).
Sharon

my guess would be mostly all dark rabbits, the cal has color in it, and adding the SF will pretty much seal it.

White rabbits do exist in the Silver Fox breed, but are rarely used for breeding since they are not an accepted color. A little bit of asking around may be able to track down a breeder that has them pop up in their lines sometimes, and you could let them know you're interested for the next time they have one.

Another route would be to breed the SF x NZW offspring back to NZW. That should give you mostly white kits, I believe.

Thanks everyone for the info. I had planned on breeding him to 2 to 4 does pick out at least 1 doe from each litter. Breed them to a nzw and hopefully by then i would get rew then i might breed a rew brother sister pair to each other. But i don't know nothing about genetics. The lady also has a flemish, American Chinchilla doe and could after the litter is weaned of could breed her to the silver fox buck. So the litter would be 50% Silver Fox, 25% Flemish and 25% American Chinchilla. That mix sounds interesting might have to wait for that litter. But wont be tell next yr. The litter she has now is by a vinnia buck which i do not know what breed he is im thinking Dutch.
Sorry for taking over the post i was looking for breed info on the foxs and there grow outs rates and was happy to find it here.

Quote:
Sharon

my guess would be mostly all dark rabbits, the cal has color in it, and adding the SF will pretty much seal it.

These are some that were born on 9/15/10 from a Silver Fox Doe and a Cal Buck
S5300006.jpg

I can get better pictures if you want, but these fella's are outgrowing their pure bred counterparts. They look just like young SF though and have black skin

Last edited:
Quote:
ya'll are in luck. I just did 7 fryers and left 3 of them to live another day
hmm.png
I will have to look and see what liters I have that are comparable age wise, but got to borrow the scale from my dad first otherwise its down to me stepping on the scale then grabbing a rabbit and stepping on the scale
lau.gif

We butcher between 8-12 weeks mostly but some we grow out as long as 24 weeks on pellets and lots of natural silage ... So I have to make sure my comparisons aren't on the experimental feeding as well
smile.png
I'll try to sort it out tomorrow and get back to you!

Quote:
Too bad most processors don't buy the colored rabbits. I've seen pictures of NZW and black Silver Fox rabbits skinned and lying right next to each other. Couldn't see a lick of difference. I would like to see someone start collecting the rare white SF sports and breed them. I think the white Silver Fox would have a lot to offer a lot of people. That COAT, plus the meat qualities...to die for. Probably the perfect breed. :p

Quote:
Too bad most processors don't buy the colored rabbits. I've seen pictures of NZW and black Silver Fox rabbits skinned and lying right next to each other. Couldn't see a lick of difference. I would like to see someone start collecting the rare white SF sports and breed them. I think the white Silver Fox would have a lot to offer a lot of people. That COAT, plus the meat qualities...to die for. Probably the perfect breed. :p

problem with the SF is that for the good coat to come out you have to let the rabbits mature enough and then process in the winter time
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom