S F Meat Rabbit vs Cal/NZ Meat Rabbit Grow Out

i think i would have still given the girl some time to recoup from even having one kit. sort of like humans-need that break after having 1 or 2 kids during a pregnacy! things need to shrink back to normal for a little bit too!

Chickie'sMoma :

i think i would have still given the girl some time to recoup from even having one kit. sort of like humans-need that break after having 1 or 2 kids during a pregnacy! things need to shrink back to normal for a little bit too!

In rabbits it is not the pregnacy that wears them down, it is feeding all the kits for 5 to 7 weeks. Rabbit does are not like humans. They do not shrink back down to normal.​

Quote:
Congrats! Yes rabbits have 2 tubes and can in a way deliver 2 batches of kits. That is why some people practice multipy matings. There is no why to know what happened to the first kit.

Enjoy the 8!!!

Quote:
Here is the update on the 4 week old Silver Fox litter - weight in oz

18 + 14.2 + 18 + 18.2 + 19.2 + 15 + 18

Here is the updated picture of them and mama:

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/sandspoultry/Rabbits/SF11-14wksold.jpg

They are growing so fast and their fur is coming in nicely. They are super friendly and curious. They are starting to nibble on the carrots too.

I will update the Cal/NZ mix on Wed night when they are 4 weeks old.

So it has been 6 weeks now and boy are they growing and eating.
The Silver Fox kits have weighted in at:
2lbs 7oz + 2lbs 4.2oz + 2lbs 11.4oz + 2lbs 12.4oz + 2lbs 9.8oz + 2lbs 8.2 oz + 2lbs 11oz = 287.2oz or 17lbs 15oz
They have eaten 87 cups in the last 2 weeks or 32 lbs of feed
Here is a picture of them with Mama:

20106wkSF.jpg

For the Cal/NZmix their weight is:
2lbs 14.6oz + 2lbs 12.2oz + 2lbs 4.2oz + 2lbs 10.2oz + 2lbs 9.4oz + 2lbs 8.8oz + 3lbs 2.4oz = 301.4oz or 18lbs 13oz
They have eaten 101 cups in the last 2 weeks or 37lbs of feed
And here is their picture:
20106wkcals.jpg

It looks like the gap between the 2 litters is closing with the SF eating less. The SF litter is more uniform in size then the mix litter. Both Mama does will be taken out this weekend and the litters will be on there own for the next 2 weeks. At which time I will start going thru them for my breeders plus the 2 that will be butchered at the end and the rest of the litters will be sold off as Christmas pets.
The SF kits are very laid back, calm and run to the front of the cage when I open it to be peted and to see if I brought them anything. The mix litter is also friendly but not as much. The mix litter is more solid feeling and compact.
To me it looks like the SF are more efficent at their feed to weight ratio, but we will give them another 2 weeks and see what happens.

Last edited:
Cute babies! Was the mix a Cali buck over NZ doe? I can't wait to have my first litter and compare them to the stats you got!
big_smile.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I need help;

One doe is pregnant, and I have been trying every day with these other two does that I have. I have reduced their feed, and have been putting them in with the bucks once or twice a day. One doe is acting very weird and I need insight on her.

Doe 1; As soon as I put her in the bucks cage she will start to run around fast and then jumps on the buck and mounts him. She does this very roughly, and will even grab bits of fur from the buck and pull it out. She repeats this until I pull her out. I made sure it was a her. She does it to both bucks. Does this seem odd? It does to me!

What the heck!

Doe 2; She will let the male mount, but her rear end is tucked under so he doesn't make contact. I tried holding her and when the bucks sees my hands he stops trying. As soon as I let go he tries again. Ugh. I don't know what to do with her.

Last edited:
Quote:
Both the doe and buck are mixes - Cal/NZ both of them.

I would say that doe 1 is pregant...that is the only time mine act like that. Or how young is the buck?

On doe 2 check her and make sure she is ready.....pink and moist or dry and more whitest looking.

Keep trying they will take.
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom