S F Meat Rabbit vs Cal/NZ Meat Rabbit Grow Out

So today is week 8 for the 2 litters. And boy have they been growing and eating.

Weights for the Silver Fox are:
3lbs 8oz + 3 lbs 14.4oz + 3lbs 11.4oz + 3lbs 9.4oz + 3lbs 7.4oz + 3lbs 1.2oz + 3lbs 7.2oz = 24lbs 9 oz
In the last 2 weeks the Silver Fox have eaten 32.25 lbs of feed

Weights for the Cal/NZ mix are:
3lbs 7.4oz + 4lbs 1.4oz + 4lbs 5.8oz + 3lbs 14.6oz + 3lbs 13.4oz + 3lbs 5.2oz + 3lbs 11oz = 27lbs
In the last 2 weeks the Cal/NZ have eaten 31lbs of feed

The real test will come when we pick 2 to butcher. We will try to pick 1 from each litter as close to each other in weight.

sf8weeks.jpg

cad8weeks.jpg

This is the litter of 2, I will wait until Friday to weigh them, that is when they will be 8 weeks old. They are both huge!

litter28weeks.jpg

So what does everything think?

Last edited:
I think they look great, and I think it's awesome your recording all your info!

Questions;

1. Does your "feed eaten" include the feed for the doe as well, or do you just put her in for the pictures?

2. How do you "measure" how much feed you've gone through? Do you weigh the bags?

3. What is the FCR for each; so we can determine which one is more efficient? Actually I looked back through and it looks like the mixed ones have gained more weight on less feed, correct?

4. What age will you butcher?

Last edited:
Great questions:
1. I took the does out 2 weeks ago, except for the litter of 2. Both litters of 7 kits are in big pens by themselves. I ran out of cage space so put the Doe and her 2 mix ones in a big pen so they would have more space.

2. I measure the feed in a big mug - just the feed weights 6oz for each mug.

3. Yes over the last 2 weeks the mix litter gained more weight and ate less.

4. We like to wait until they are close to 3 months old. Gives us more meat per rabbit. I also sale the little ones for pets or whatever and the ones that are left are the ones we freezer.

So if anyone is looking for meat rabbits or Blue Silver Fox rabbits and they live in my area or are willing to travel to Eastern NC let me know, I have a few of each that are ready for new homes.

Quote:

man those Silver foxes are beautiful!!! Wish you lived closer!

I just had a litter of Flemish Giants born and 2 litters of new zealands last night... If I can get them to make it through the cold I'll try to post some weights here in a few weeks to compare sizes if you like?

To the poster above me.... where in southern ohio do you live? I've been looking for a rabbit breeder to get some quality NZ from. Would you be interested in selling any? PM me if you would.

I would love to get some of your rabbits SandS... however NC is too far of a drive! Rabbits are hard to find in my area.

Last edited:
My kits are due today and tomorrow. If the does took. Its a first for all of us... I've never bred and they've never been bred so we'll see I guess.

Back
Top Bottom