?'s on Runner ducks...

I think that the Pacific Northwest is the slug capital of the world.
Absolutely! And theyā€˜re monsters, tooā€” utterly HUGE!! No joke.

When we first moved to Bainbridge Island, WA (from southern Arizona) my college-aged son moved there with us. A month or two after we moved in, he came inside one day & the following exchange ensuedā€”

Son: ā€œThereā€™s a massive slug right outside ā€” itā€™s this bigā€ holding his hands a good 8-9 inches (yes, inches!) apart.

Me: ā€œHoney, thereā€™s no way... are you sure itā€™s not a weird stick or something?ā€

Son: ā€œIt was moving Mom... go look...ā€

Me: <tying my shoes>ā€œSlugs arenā€™t that big honey... maybe itā€™s a little garden snake?ā€ I went on to remind him that Iā€™d be surprised if heā€™d ever even seen a slug before... itā€™s not like they tend to be found in the desert.

Son: <now getting rather indignant> ā€œItā€™s not a snake! It. is. a. SLUG! Are you gonna go look or not?ā€

Me: ā€œOkayā€” show me...ā€

We proceed to walk outside and there on the front step is the biggest, grossest, slimiest SLUG Iā€™ve ever seen! I just about fell over! I quickly ran back into the house to find something to provide scale. I found an unsharpened pencil and went back outside, cell phone out & ready to take a picture... I put the pencil down and this thing was easily over an inch longer than the pencil. I took the picture & posted it to Facebook with the captionā€” The slugs here could carry off a small child! It would stretch forward and bunch up, crawling along. Then it would stop, raise up, seem to ā€œlookā€ around, antennae wiggling, slowly lower again & go a little ways more. He had apparently crawled across the walkway & up the concrete stepā€” a total of about 15 ft or so from where my son saw it.

To this day, if I say anything like ā€œno wayā€” couldnā€™t beā€, he will remind me: ā€œRemember the slug? You didnā€˜t believe that...remind me, how did that end up again?ā€œ (Yes, heā€™s a smartalecā€” he shouldā€™ve majored in sarcasm šŸ˜‰)

In the four years we lived there I never got used to to seeing those nasty things. I *wish* I couldā€™ve had ducks to eat them all, but Iā€™m pretty sure I wouldā€™ve needed way more ducks than zoning would have allowed. Iā€™m not sure there were enough ducks in the entire county to eat them all!
The most I saw in a single place was under a ~4-foot-long garden log we pulled up bordering the yard. We tried counting themā€”We stopped at 250! And that was just the ones bigger than a dimeā€” there were hundreds, possibly thousands, more tiny ones hiding in the decaying grain of the wood.šŸ˜³
Yuck! šŸ¤¢šŸ¤®

When I was younger, my family and I gathered up over 2 lbs of slugs from our yard, (there were many more!!) for a friend with chickens. She cut them up with scissors and tossed them with yoghurt as a treat for them. I wonder if my chickens now would like that....

When I was younger, my family and I gathered up over 2 lbs of slugs from our yard, (there were many more!!) for a friend with chickens. She cut them up with scissors and tossed them with yoghurt as a treat for them. I wonder if my chickens now would like that....
Yeah... no way I could do that. Even using a long spade to cut them in half made me gag.
We flicked off the ones from the wood board into boiling water with a healthy squirt of dish soap added. They seemed to die instantly with none of the snot-like slime they usually excrete as they die. They just curled right up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom