Saanen bagged up right after mating... is that common?

Happy Camper

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Puerto Rico
I have a Saanen mix with a questionable attachment (it always looks as if she has a couple squirts of milk in each teat even when she has not been bred in a long time) that was bred on my watch a couple weeks ago.
The day after she bred and for 4 more days she developed a pretty big udder that looked full of milk. It was fuller on one side.
She looks normal now. Don't know what happened with her milk... Is that common? Was it just swollen due to the buck's hormones? Is it possible she drank it?
I have bred a Nubian 3 times and never saw this before.

Last edited:
It could be she's a precocious milker- a goat that will come into milk without having been or needing to be bred to produce milk. If she were uncomfortable and not used to having a full udder, then it's possible she could've drunk it- if so, this is a bad habit that needs to be stopped as soon as possible. Hope that helps! ( :

Thanks for your insight. Never thought about her being a precocious milker and I think you are right. I will get more educated about the subject and just observe her. She's got the best of tempers and so far I have not seen her drink from her own teats. They look normal for her meaning with those couple squirts of milk she always seems to have but not full. Her full udder lasted a week after breeding her.

I am still trying to figure out if that was caused by her being bred or her heat... or both. Hopefully she's pregnant. If so, we should have kiddos in October.
wink.png

If she has milk you should go ahead and milk her. Otherwise she may get mastitis. You seem to see precocious milkers in Saanens than in other breeds. I once knew a Saanen that milked a gallon a day, day after day, and she had never been bred.

Back
Top Bottom