Sad and lonely goose... Advice please!

lara_k

In the Brooder
May 15, 2018
Hi all,

I have a year old female (at least, that was what i was told when I got her) Embden goose that I've had for a couple of months now. I purchased her to act as a "guardian" for my small flock of 5 ducks (4 hens and a drake--I didn't expect her to be able to do much, but I was hoping her large size would persuade the hawks to look for meals elsewhere). I did quite a bit of reading on the topic of guardian geese, and the consensus seemed to be to only have one goose present, so that they will be more likely to stick close to the ducks. The problem is my Appleyard drake refuses to let her near the ducks, and chases her off. So she spends her days alone, which is sad to see. As well, just today she started to be really cozy with me, standing on my feet and looking up at me (this is brand new behaviour--I couldn't get anywhere near her yesterday and before). I'm not sure if that just a result of it being almost mating season, or if she's just desperate and lonely.

I'm looking to get her a goose friend. Adults seem hard to come by (unless they are purchased as a mated pair), and gosling season doesn't start until late March- April. I'm just wondering if anyone has advice on what I should be getting for her. Is a gosling a good bet? Can I get a female, or would it be better for her to have a male (I'm a bit concerned about male aggression, so I would prefer another female)?

Thanks in advance!

Don't mess with a gander unless you know what you are doing and what you want from the situation. Females get along great without hormonal discord. We've got 3 females and they are very harmonious.

I have a female that just lost her mate, she is mourning and I feel really bad for her, she has lost her appetite but has gotten better with some of her actions since the death, such as honking a little, drinking, and from time to time will spread her wings but is very sad. Will she come out of this? I can't find another goose her age, she is about 1 year old, I can buy a couple of babies, but will need to keep them separate until they are a little older, the goose is in with my chickens and guineas. Please give advice!!!

She may take right to the goslings. How old are they? Maybe just keep them where she can see them for a few days then put her in with them. Not with the chickens and guineas. My goose couple love babies. Very sorry for your loss. They have been known to grieve themselves to death so keep a close eye on her.

Just rescued a sweet Chinese brown in Wisconsin with some infection on the webbing between its toes from presumed frostbite. The vet is pretty sure it's an underweight young gander. It's our first goose. After the antibiotic cream clears up the infection, we had planned to place it with the ducks. Reading these responses makes me wonder if we should be concerned about our plans.

Back
Top Bottom