Sad lonely chicken needs help - need advice

Amby

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
HI,
We had 3 hens but a raccoon broke in the coop and killed 2 of them. We now have only one left and don't know what to do. We moved her coop into the garage to keep her safe but she is afraid to go into coop. She was in the coop when the attact happened but the coon left her, only took her sisters. She is very sad and lonely and we don’t know what to do. We were told we can’t give her away because older chickens will kill her if we try to add her to a different flock. She is a year old, does anyone have any advice how to deal with her or what we should do? We heard it's not good to just have one chicken because they need a flock.

Maybe get some chicks let her play mother or a stuffed animal we but a small plush dog toy in with a single chick waiting on others to hatch..

Thank you, were going to try the stuff animal tonight and see if that helps. I would love to get babies but tractor supply said we have to buy 6 and our coop and yard are too small for that many.

thanks, stuff animal and a mirror. We'll try it - thank you.

She seemed to like the stuff animal and mirror. She was in a little better mood today, more interested in her food and wondering around on her own a little bit. I will keep looking for someone to keep her company. Thank you for all your help. Its nice to talk to people who understand this silly chicken love. :)

Maybe an ad on your local Craigslist? There are lots of feed stores that will sell as little as you want and I'm sure you could find someone to take a few of the babies even if you had to buy six. I put a mirror in with all my chicks. Some could care less, others can't stay away. I have found that the roos really love to admire themselves. Lots of chicken slobber! My old rooster used to come in through the doggie-door whenever he had the chance and crash in front of one of those 70's glass-fronted stereo cabinets. He'd stay until he got hungry or thirsty or I'd chase him out. I eventually put a rubber mat in front of it. His "partner-in-crime" hen friend unfortunately liked the couch! It was often a fight to get them out. Dogs didn't like the blocked door! I hope you get something worked out. I bet she'll set on babies if she's broody. I had one set on my 4 mo. old rooster that was as big as she was when I introduced him to my flock. Yes, they are the above mentioned. She protected him their whole lives and she died 4 days after he did at the ripe old age of 7! He loved it.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss
hugs.gif
I think you should get one or two new hens as company for your lone hen. She will be happy with chicken friends.

Back
Top Bottom