Sad question

chicks44

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Acton
My friend has a hen that is dying a slow death. She is unable to walk on her crooked feet and spayed legs. They can't afford to pay a vet to put her down. Is there a quick and painless way to euthanize her? Yuck! Thanks, I hope I am not in her position with my chicks some day.

There is a real good thread here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=208641

and some info here: http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

It's
a tough thing to do. I had a baby chick that just wasn't right at hatch- and I used the baking soda and vinegar. We had another that was a rooster with a crooked neck not responding to vitamins that my husband broke its neck. I wouldnt be able to break a neck. I would be afraid of doing it wrong and really causing trauma.

Whatever you choose- good luck.
hugs.gif

I use a 22. short to the head. It is no louder than a pop the bird will die instantly and the other birds are not alarmed.

I used this method a couple years ago, because while it is true an ax to the neck is the fastest i just could not do it...

Did you know car starter fluid is ether? It is... It will put an animal to sleep if they breath the fumes... Trick is, they have to breath a lot of it and you want to be sure it does not get in their face.

I took rubbermaid countainer just big enough to hold the bird. Wrapped the bird in a light towel, put it in the box which I had made a small hole near the bottom.

I put the bird in, closed the lid tightly and emptied an entire bottle of stater fluid into the box and then sealed the hole with a peice of duct tape and left the bird for half an hour.
sad.png

Call the humane society and see if they will do it for you. Let them know the hen is ill and you do not have money for a vet . You can also contact some vets and see if they will do it for you. Some are actually interested in the welfare of the animal and not the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Good luck. This is a difficult decision and one you don't take lightly. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Make your chicken as comfortable as possible for now and take care of yourself also.

Back
Top Bottom