Sad Story ( warning: graphic descriptions)

Gagirly

Songster
8 Years
Nov 1, 2011
Perry, GA
This is my first non-chicken post and unfortunately a very sad and horrible one. I have a lot of dogs. Mostly miniature dachshunds (also a blue heeler, pitbull and labx). I used to raise dachshund puppies, but got out of it several years ago. The dachshunds bark at literally EVERYTHING, so I don't usually even go look out the window when I hear them all barking. Yesterday morning I heard them barking again and paid no attention until I heard one of them scream. I opened the front door and saw a german shepherd in my yard with her jaws on one of my dachshund's throat. I saw my little dachshund get her throat ripped out right in front of me. My entire yard is fenced and the only way the shepherd could have gotten in was to go over the fence. I don't even remember going down my front steps, but I did and grabbed the first thing I could which was a shovel. My pitbull flew out of the house when I opened the door and grabbed the shepherd by one of it's back legs. When the shepherd twisted around to bite my pitbull, I hit it in the head with the shovel as hard as I could. I killed it. I still can't believe I deliberately killed a dog. I rationalize it by telling myself I had no choice, but I feel terrible. I then dropped the shovel and went to my little Molly. I really find it hard to believe she's dead. She was only 4 years old and a beautiful and sweet longhaired black and tan. She was born here and I thought she'd die of old age here. I felt like I couldn't breathe. She didn't deserve to die. At some point I noticed another body in the yard. My tiny little brindle dachshund, Sissy, was also dead. She was 8 years old and also born here. After awhile, I drug the shepherd's body outside the fence and went to her owner's house. I knocked on the door and told the owner when she opened it that she needed to come get her dog's body and if she had anything she wanted to tell me that I would be in my back yard burying my two little dogs that her dog had killed. I turned around and left before she could say anything. This shepherd had been getting loose for years. The owner had been warned by animal control and the dog had been picked up several times, but it didn't make any difference. I don't know why it decided to come into my yard, but it did and caused me to have one of the worst days of my life. I can't believe Molly and Sissy are gone. I just feel like a rug has been pulled out from under me. Not sure why I'm posting this other than I really need a verbal hug.

I'm so sorry Lisa. I know how it feels to have an unrestrained dog destroy what you love. Once, we owned a male rabbit and two does, and their two litters of about five babies each. When we were out, a neighbour's dog (a Rottweiler, I think) broke into the cage and slaughtered every one. They ate the beautiful, golden-furred babies and broke the necks of their parents. I was only six years old but I never forgot that. It broke my heart. Three babies survived but only one lived a full life. She died one year ago.

Sorry for exchanging a sad story with a sad story

OMG, I am so very sorry to read what has happened to you and your little dogs, how sickening. The only comfort you can draw from it is that it was quick, even for the killer, who lets face it was not really to blame, the person responsible for all of this is the dogs owner.
I am sending you a huge
hugs.gif
remember none of this was your fault......... RIP to all the dogs X

Oh, I am so, so sorry this happened to you and your dogs. I know it was a horrifying thing to witness and be a part of because I witnessed such an attack myself this past summer. It was my own golden retriever that attacked my little dachshund right in front of me. Fortunately mine did survive, but she was critically injured and it took extensive veterinary treatment and multiple surgeries over a two month time frame to save her. It's hard to describe what an awful thing it is to see a dog killing or trying to kill another and I know it was much, much worse for you to lose your sweet little dogs. I do hope you don't blame yourself. I know all about barking dachshunds. If you ran to look every time they barked you would never get anything else done. And you only did what you had to do with the shepherd.

Oh, my... words can't express how sorry for your losses and what you are going through! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEEL GUILTY ABOUT!!
You did what you needed to do when it needed done. Please report this back to animal control since there was already a history with this dog,
you want it documented!
Again, I'm so sorry...
hugs.gif

Oh I'm so sorry but just think the meant to kill your dog and so really that could be dangerous for other peoples dogs so it was a matter of time before someone else did it. I have never experienced that but I would never wish it on anybody.

hugs.gif
I am so very sorry that you had to deal with this. You did nothing wrong. Your action was instinctive and the sort that any protector of their animals would have carried out. All is the fault of the owner who did not maintain control over her dog.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom