Saddle feathers?

Thanks!
smile.png

OK, I haven't read all the posts, only those on the front page.

ALL chickens, male and female, have saddle feathers. Males have saddle feathers that are pointed at the end. Females have rounded saddle feathers. Breeds that are bred towards hen-feathering have the rounded saddle feathers.

The curved feathers on the tail are called SICKLE feathers.

I think what is confusing is that on the chart of hen and rooster only the rooster has saddle feathers labeled. as far as I remember when I looked yesterday. thats what confused me a bit.

So if they have saddle feathers that hang down to the sides and look all "skirty" they're a roo for sure? Regardless of breed? I have a bunch of mixed breeds & they've been tricky to figure out . . .

Last edited:
Quote:
Only roosters no matter what breed.

No, BOTH sexes have saddle feathers. Roosters' are more noticeable dew to their pointedness.

If only roosters had them, then explain the Hen-feathered breeds. Does that mean the roosters of those breeds don't have them?

Quote:
Yes

THANK YOU! Looks like I have three more dinners planned
roll.png
What a batch of roos. Out of my 14 unknowns ELEVEN have been roos (and I know they weren't sexed & picked over, they were from a neighbors hatch.)

Last edited:
Quote:
Only roosters no matter what breed. The curved feathers are called saddle feathers.

Maxx, I believe I know the difference between saddle and SICKLE feathers. Saddle feathers are along the BACK of both sexes of birds. Sickle feathers are the curved feathers on the TAIL of the male. Do some research.

Quote:
Only roosters no matter what breed. The curved feathers are called saddle feathers.

Maxx, I believe I know the difference between saddle and SICKLE feathers. Saddle feathers are along the BACK of both sexes of birds. Sickle feathers are the curved feathers on the TAIL of the male. Do some research.

Oh, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom