saddle-shaped air cells ??

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
I have three bantam cochin eggs on day 21 today. Since the beginning of incubation (yes, they were shipped eggs) they have developed aircells that are shaped like an english saddle. Does anyone have any experience with this?

They were moving around yesterday (I know, I shouldn't have candled them but I'm worried about the aircell) so I know they're alive.

That is often seen in shipped eggs. Sometimes they hatch just fine. Sometimes they don't. It is always a guessing game with shipped eggs!
barnie.gif

Quite a few of my shipped eggs I'm putting in the hatcher tomorrow look like that... just cross your fingers, legs, eyes and toes that they hatch! Shipped eggs are always a gamble. This time I have 11/12 developing nicely (save the saddle air sacs) and last hatch were my Silkies and I had 2/12 hatch... one that hatched had a floating air sac and the other a saddle...

Quite a few of my eggs that I have in my bator this time around have air cells that look like that. They were all shipped also. I'm on day 16 today and they are coming along just fine! Sunday is hatching day, so we'll see if they hatch or not.
fl.gif

I have had a lot of eggs with that saddle looking aircell and have no problems with them hatching. The only time is if the aircell is ruptured and rolls around the egg!

Quote:
Well that brings up another subject. I have another batch of eggs in another bator (shipped) and several of them have aircell that must be ruptured because it goes down on the side of the egg if you tilt it. So far the chicks are developing ok. Would it be best to stop turning them a bit early and set them upright in a carton?

I set my Silkies upright, and one hatched out. Try doing the egg carton method and see if that works. Worth a try right?

1 with the floating/ruptured airsac hatched 1 didn't... and the other had a saddle... try it.

Quote:
Well that brings up another subject. I have another batch of eggs in another bator (shipped) and several of them have aircell that must be ruptured because it goes down on the side of the egg if you tilt it. So far the chicks are developing ok. Would it be best to stop turning them a bit early and set them upright in a carton?

Does the aircell roll all the way around the egg, with one big bubble and some smaller ones? I have had the aircell roll down the side of the egg but still have the membrane intact. I just put my eggs in and if the develop and hatch thats great. I've tried almost everything to save eggs with ruptured air cells and none have ever hatched for me.

Back
Top Bottom