Safe To Breed Bantam with Reg Hens?

GrassClump

Chirping
Mar 12, 2023
Texas
So I've been lookin' around, and although I've found many threads questioning the possibility of bantam roos breeding with regular chooks, I couldn't find any consistent information about what exactly comes out of this crossing, so why not add another thread to the database 💀👍.

A year ago I picked out a runty little chick from a mix breed bin, next thing I know I'm now the proud owner of this shortcake:
(George next to barredĂ—easter mix hen)
20230414_171448.jpg

My family thinks we should breed him but I'm not entirely sure if we should...

Fertility is definitely not an issue, he may be small but almost every egg I've cracked has that little bullseye on it 🎯

I guess my main concern is the offspring- so far it seems like there's only three answers im able to find

"you'll get mediums birds"

"they'll all be bantam"

"you'll get small birds that lay big eggs!" or "you'll get big birds that lay small eggs!"

So which is it???

If you've got any information, or even better! sweet sweet experience, please do share đź‘Ś

There's no straight answer because of genetic roulette.

Figured as much 🤔

I suppose I'd much rather have no chicks than hatch any that could possibly have issues.
Really I think the only hen he can breed is my white sultan since they're both small lol

So I've been lookin' around, and although I've found many threads questioning the possibility of bantam roos breeding with regular chooks, I couldn't find any consistent information about what exactly comes out of this crossing, so why not add another thread to the database 💀👍.

A year ago I picked out a runty little chick from a mix breed bin, next thing I know I'm now the proud owner of this shortcake:
(George next to barredĂ—easter mix hen)
View attachment 3475545

My family thinks we should breed him but I'm not entirely sure if we should...

Fertility is definitely not an issue, he may be small but almost every egg I've cracked has that little bullseye on it 🎯

I guess my main concern is the offspring- so far it seems like there's only three answers im able to find

"you'll get mediums birds"

"they'll all be bantam"

"you'll get small birds that lay big eggs!" or "you'll get big birds that lay small eggs!"

So which is it???

If you've got any information, or even better! sweet sweet experience, please do share đź‘Ś
Aw, just go ahead and try it. There really isn't a "worse case scenario," even if all of the suggested answers are correct. It'll be like Christmas, or Forrest's Gump's box of chocolates ... you never know what you'll get! Regardless of genetic surprises, all of the cross-breeds' eggs will still be edible ... and who knows, you may get a really cool bird or three out of it. Pretty much ALL (with a very few exceptions) bantam birds started out as bantam/standard mixes. You may have the next hot "New Breed!"
If you do try the crosses, be sure to document your experiments. It'll be fun to watch the developments!

Back
Top Bottom