buffy-the-eggpile-layer

Crowing
5 Years
May 29, 2019
I recently noticed droppings with shed intestinal lining in them (pinkish strands that look like raw meat). My 7 hens are about 15 months old and have never been wormed. They are eating and drinking normally, and otherwise their droppings look good. I haven't found the culprit of the couple conspicuous poops, but I assume it's not all of them.

I've read shedding lining can be a precursor to worm infestation--should I treat with Safeguard (I have the paste on hand)? I'm not seeing any signs of cocci. I want to act fast if needed but also don't want to jump the gun--ever my dilemma as a first-time chicken keeper.

The most simple thing would be to get some combined droppings tested by a vet for worms or coccidia. But it is very safe to worm with Valbazen or SafeGuard. Valbazen (albendazole) is easily found online or in a few feedstores, but it requires only one dose, and then you can repeat that in 10 days to get the worm eggs. It is also used in humans, and is gentle. Dosage is 0.08 ml per pound—about 1/2 ml for a 6 pound chicken, given orally.

SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is found in most feed stores. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days given orally to get round, cecal, capillary, and gapeworms. Use it once and again in 10 days to only kill round and cecal worms.

The most simple thing would be to get some combined droppings tested by a vet for worms or coccidia. But it is very safe to worm with Valbazen or SafeGuard. Valbazen (albendazole) is easily found online or in a few feedstores, but it requires only one dose, and then you can repeat that in 10 days to get the worm eggs. It is also used in humans, and is gentle. Dosage is 0.08 ml per pound—about 1/2 ml for a 6 pound chicken, given orally.

SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is found in most feed stores. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days given orally to get round, cecal, capillary, and gapeworms. Use it once and again in 10 days to only kill round and cecal worms.

I think only one if them is shedding lining but I can't determine who. I'll plan to get some droppings looked at next week. I suppose if one needs worm treatment, they all do anyway.

What about safeguard paste? I have that on hand but will buy liquid if more effective.

The SG paste is the same dosage, so that will work. When you get the Liquid, be sure to shake it and any other suspension liquids well before withdraing a dose.

You're correct. Capillary worms can cause shed intestinal lining. Since your birds are 15 months old, it's time to worm them. Follow the dosage amounts for either Valbazen or Safeguard in Eggcessive's post.
Good to know. And deworming in the heat won't add too much stress?

Also, do you recommend corid treatment? I don't see any blood, just the orangy/pale pink stringy stuff. And they are acting energetic. Treatment of water will be difficult in this heat because I'm constantly refreshing their supplies to keep it cool.

Our temps here in northeast Florida have been in the upper 90's with humidity to match for weeks and weeks and we're just getting started. August and September are worse.
I just wormed my birds the other day with Valbazen and I worm my birds monthly.

Worm your birds early in the morning before you let them out and before they feed. Your birds will be hungry as usual, and so will the worms. The wormer will be very effective eliminating the weakened hungry worms. Withhold your birds feed 2 hours after worming, then go ahead and feed your birds.
Make sure you give the wormer orally to each chicken, use a syringe without a needle to administer it.

Our temps here in northeast Florida have been in the upper 90's with humidity to match for weeks and weeks and we're just getting started. August and September are worse.
I just wormed my birds the other day with Valbazen and I worm my birds monthly.

Worm your birds early in the morning before you let them out and before they feed. Your birds will be hungry as usual, and so will the worms. The wormer will be very effective eliminating the weakened hungry worms. Withhold your birds feed 2 hours after worming, then go ahead and feed your birds.
Make sure you give the wormer orally to each chicken, use a syringe without a needle to administer it.
Well, I uh, jumped the gun. On my way out, saw the culprit in action and gave her a small pea sized amount--for a small bird--of the safeguard paste (on a couple oats). I wasn't going to be home for a while and was worried she'd get worse. Hope I didn't mess her up. Yeesh.

Also, re:safeguard, I'm seeing conflicting info on dosage. Dose once and then again ten days later or once every day for 5 consecutive days? If the latter, I'll follow your directions for the rest of her dosages and will certainly do the same for the others.

THANK YOU.

Get a syringe to measure the SafeGuard paste or liquid. Give 1/4 ml per pound. Feed stores sell 3, 5, 10, and 35 ml syringes. Walmart gives away a needless 1 ml syringe for giving medications to infants. A standard hen weighs about 5 pounds depending on the breed. The SafeGuard dosages in post 3 are for either getting round worms and cecal worms, or for getting most all worms, round, cecal, capillary, and gapworms. Tapeworms, which are not common, usually are best treated with praziquantel.
Valbazen is just used once and again in 10 days to get most all worms.

Back
Top Bottom