Safety of buried eggs?

Pics
I think they’re like 18x18x18 and I probably have like 6-12 inches of shavings. :oops: it gets compacted down some over time but still. Sometimes I use like half a bag or even a whole one of shavings just for the nest boxes. :oops: that’s probably wayyy too much? But I wanted the girls to be comfortable. :lau :oops:

Thank you, I think I’ll maybe at least give them to the chickens if they aren’t rotten. And yeah, I’ve been pretty bad about that but have been a lot better lately and usually don’t go more than a couple days without collecting. But even when I do collect daily, the boxes are so deep that I sometimes miss buried eggs. I am thinking maybe I need to put less in the boxes. Or something. And yeah, I think it’s probably too warm for them to be safe? But if they’re not rotten I might try giving them back to the chickens.

I have 12 hens, probably only 8 laying. I have two boxes 12 x 12 with about two inches of shavings. I think you're running a very expensive hotel bedroom for your ladies:celebrate:celebrate. I read somewhere that refrigerated, unwashed eggs can last 7 months and still taste good! If I find an egg and don't know it came that day, I hard boil it up for my girls or feed it to the dogs! Not worth taking chances.

Back
Top Bottom