Sagitta Breed - Looking for Info

BoiseBurb

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
I have three banty hens in our suburban backyard for two years. We dabbled with ducks, which quickly became dinner. A friend and I are going to dabble with raising some cockerels for meat. He has a 7 acre space with no animals and was thinking this would be a good start to see if he would enjoy it. Important things for us in this process was to keep the costs low, the time short, 12 or less birds, and easy to care for.

I am staying away from cornish cross because I have moral issues with the breed. I called up Dunlap Nursery, planning on ordering a red cornish cross (who's legs wouldn't buckle and 12 weeks to fryer stage). I avoided that breed when I was told we would have to monitor the feed.

Dunlap suggested the breed Sagitta (that's how they said it was spelled). It was a new dual purpose breed that would be at fryer stage in 12 weeks. That's what I ordered. I went looking for information on the web about the breed and have found nothing, nada, zilch. Any information at all would be truly helpful!

Anytime a new egg and meat bird crops up on the newly developed breed list, you can bet attention will be drawn to it. You really need to throw caution to the wind on this one as the promoter has little information backing the history behind the makings nor have they shared it as yet. One of the first things they did was to throw down a challenge glove to anyone daring it to be an unrepeatable hybrid cross much like a black sex link.
All things deserve a look but if I was spending time and money on a good egg and meat bird, I would be looking elsewhere.

Seems to me, a considerable amount of time and $$ expense went in to the production of this breed.... That, to me, signifies a quality breed of chicken... Somewhat different than "backyard crosses" that are used in "home" egg and meat production on a routine basis....
Not saying one is better than the other... Just the progression to the final "breed" has some merit to it....

http://www.sunnysidehatchery.com/pricing.aspx

https://www.dunlaphatchery.net/birds/Standards/standards.aspx

http://www.centurionpoultry.com/plg_sagitta.pdf

Anytime a new egg and meat bird crops up on the newly developed breed list, you can bet attention will be drawn to it. You really need to throw caution to the wind on this one as the promoter has little information backing the history behind the makings nor have they shared it as yet. One of the first things they did was to throw down a challenge glove to anyone daring it to be an unrepeatable hybrid cross much like a black sex link.
All things deserve a look but if I was spending time and money on a good egg and meat bird, I would be looking elsewhere.

I purchased 10 Sagitta hens and a rooster from our local poultry dealer. These Sagittas DO breed true, however I'm told the hens seldom become broody, so if I wanted to continue and enlarge my flock, I'd have to hatch the eggs in an incubator. I agree there is very little information about this breed but according to my local poultry dealer they are excellent layers and also good meat birds. My are very docile and are already laying @ 17 weeks. I'm glad, so far, that I went with the Sagittas.

My poultry guy suggested Wyandotte's for broody hens.... his are "very" broody.... Sooooo, I have 2 Wyandotte's coming with the 5 Sagittas to hatch the eggs.... if that comes to fruition.... Not sure of the "Color" as of yet... Had to wait to see which breed laid eggs and what hatched at his hatchery..... Blue, Gold or Silver...... Not sure it matters to me..... Of course, I don't know squat so the chicken breeder is the "go-to" for answers....

I decided I wasn't going to hatch and brood chicks..... If the hens can do it..... why should I get involved.... they know best anyway....

Just a guy taking the easy way out I guess.....

Here's some info from Dunlap Hatchery I received when I picked up the cockerels last Tuesday: The Sagitta is very good dual purpose chicken. The males make a good substitute for a broiler, while the hens will lay a large brown egg. The roosters will wigh approximately 5 lbs. at 12 weeks of age, and get bigger if kept longer. The hens will weigh approximately 4.5 lbs. at 12 weeks of age. They are a docile bird with a low mortality rate.

I still don't know if this is a Dunlap developed breed or if this came from some other hatchery. There was no information on which breeds were used to create this breed. So in all reality I'm still lacking the more detailed information.

The chicks vary in color. Out of the twelve chicks, two were sick and died within two days. The others look healthy. Still, any info would be great!

sagittachicks.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering all this as well. I just got three of these chicks from Murdochs this evening, so it will be interesting to see how these do.

Going to watch this thread and see if you get some answers.

This year I decided to raise meat and egg birds. It get's very hot here. I have Game hens that I was using for eggs. Heard Maranas had a great taste. I've been hatching a mixture of the two. I have a few others hatching them out also.

I figure the combination should give me large brown eggs and nice meaty birds.

I'd like to find out more though about these birds. You'll have to keep us updated as you go.

So Far I am pleased with the disposition of the birds. They are quite calm and at the same time very aware of their surroundings. I have had them outside for a few days and are fine around people, but leary of other activity. They are doing well and are healthy. Here's a picture at 10 days.

birds10days.jpg

Back
Top Bottom