Salatin style meat pen finished (PIC A Little Heavy)

If you look at any of the pictures of the Polyface pens you can tell they are not over crowded at all. He has done this for many many years and would be the first one in line to be against over crowding any type of animal in that manner. They are open and honest to any questions or comments and have spent a lot of time helping other farmer be as sucessful. I would suggest doing a little research on Joel Salatin, Polyface and the pens before assuming he would treat the animals in any sort of in humane way.

Quote:
I don't know but perhaps it has something to do with getting them to gain the most weight. If they're expending too much caloric energy running around they'll make a lighter carcass when butchered.

This may not be a factor with your own small flocks of backyard meaties, but if you're raising hundreds of birds for market every little bit of gain on each bird makes a big difference at the end. I remember watching a video of a Salatin processing and saw him advise against cutting off the fat at the back of the bird. "That's 15 cents right there" he said. Times a few hundred birds makes a difference.

Quote:
I am a huge fan of Salatin, and agree with about 90% of what he says and does about farming.

But that does leave that pesky 10%. Stocking rates for his pens and the bird he raises (although there are reports that he is investigating the Freedom Ranger hybrid) are part of that 10%.

The only thing birds lose in running around is fat. That said, I really question how much "running" a CX will do no matter how much space is given, as long as his feeder is full.

Thats a lot of help thanks for doing that. i found the same website you did and was going to have to try to peice it together.

That was a pen from a year ago. Have you seen my newly designed aluminum Salatin pen? No dolly required with a simple wheel design. Cost a little more but will last many many more years. The pen pictured in this post already needs a lot of work this year putting it back together. 1X4s are not all that strong with all that weight.

Here is my dolly. Had a retired neighbor make it for me.
16513_102_5983.jpg

16513_102_5981.jpg

I personally don't crowd my meaties as much as Salatin suggests, but I think it is a mistake to go too far the opposite direction. I have 20 meaties in a 5x10 pen, and personally think that is too much space for them. I built it with the purpose of using it to raise 3 Turkeys (currently in brooder) once the meaties are finished, but in hindsight I should have added at least 10 more meaties. I want the birds to be able to move around a bit, but too much movement does equate to serious weight lose.

Past expirience has shown me that if the density it too low, they don't have as much competition for food, and as a result, the birds don't get as big. Some of it may be they get more excersise, but I have yet to see one of my meaties running laps around the tractor. LOL Personally, I feel Salatin's density is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom