Salmon Favorelle and EE: Male or female? (pics)

Chicken Nugget

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
North Carolina
We were supposed to receive all hens, but we have a sneaking suspicion that two of them may be roosters. Can anyone advise?

The first is a Salmon Favorelle:
cincoagain.jpg

cinco-1.jpg

And we think this one is an EE. We can't tell by its comb if it has the three lines of beads or just one, so we thought we would ask. It does tend to want to challenge all the other new chicks, though.

doetheroo.jpg

Any help is appreciated!

Well the Faverolle looks like a pullet since the boys have black leg feathers and black bar on wings. I must say they are a poor example of color of a Faverolle and tells me that it looks like a hatchery bird. Neverthanless, if it keeps its color, looks more like a Mahogany Faverolle in Sport color or Sport Faverolles as some of us say.

With the EE pic, I think it is still a pullet. Looks like three beads in a row and not a true Amercuana by all means. I dont see much pointed neck feathers to tell me that would be a rooster.

So I must say, they are all pullets!

Well the Faverolle looks like a pullet since the boys have black leg feathers and black bar on wings.

It's a favorelle for sure, as it has five toes. But you're right, the white leg feathers confused me, too. Everything else about it that I can think of pointed to roo except those leg feathers! I did get them from McMurray.

they are a poor example of color of a Faverolle and tells me that it looks like a hatchery bird.

If you don't buy them from a hatchery, where do you get them? Sorry, I've only been doing this about a year, so I'm still a newbie. The first batch we bought from a feed store, but they had gotten them from McMurray, so the second batch (which we split with a friend) we just ordered directly from McMurray's.

The EE was the free one in the box, so who knows about it!​

Nugget: Time will tell. Ignore the guesses. In my own case, I found the guesses to be 100% wrong! It almost seems as though any atypical hen pic posted will be said to be a roo by byc respondents, and usually emphatically stated as such!
Good luck.

So I went out just now and counted the toes on the big black favorelle looking hen.

5!

Had that hen for 6 months now. About time I found out what she was. Picked her up with the 2 Salmon Favorelles. A guy was moving, selling off his birds for $4 each. He was out, his daughter knew nothing about the birds. Shes a big bird, bigger than the salmon, about 5 pounds. All black, beard, muff, booted, and now with 5 toes.

Is there a different breed she could be? It would be nice to finally positively identify her.

Back
Top Bottom