ChickChic00

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
What sand can I use for bedding? I know you can't use play sand, but all I have access to are tractor supply, Home depot, Lowes, and ace.
Do I get medium sand commercial grade sand? Or Washed All Purpose sand? Multi purpose sand?
Any help would be much appreciated Thanks!!

What sand can I use for bedding? I know you can't use play sand, but all I have access to are tractor supply, Home depot, Lowes, and ace.
Do I get medium sand commercial grade sand? Or Washed All Purpose sand? Multi purpose sand?
Any help would be much appreciated Thanks!!
Didn't know we couldn't use play sand! I used the dry play sand from HomeDepot ($5/bag) for our chicken run. It worked well for my purpose (keeping the run dry).

If possible, you'll need to take a look at the sand in question. You want one that has variable size grains. Be sure not to get one that includes any cement - the names of the bags are sometimes hard to interpret!

At TSC, you can also get Sweet PDZ, a granular mineral that absorbs odors and is sold for horse stalls. A lot of BYC peeps, including me, use it on poop boards and as bedding in smaller coops, scooping out poop as needed. It has a sand like consistency, but I think it’s better for the purpose than sand.
6B4C7A0A-1210-4ED9-A132-774C7047AD75.jpeg

We have always used river sand it has a medium to course grit to it good for grit for chickens consumption you'll need to get it from a landscape construction business that delivers far cheaper than 5 dollar bags I did our 10 x30 run 4 inches thick on 5 cubic yards less than 200 dollars delivered still had 1 yard left over for future use chickens love it keeps it all dry for easy clean up I found it much easier to work with other names are construction sand has no cement or lime in it

Back
Top Bottom