Sand....HARBINGER OF DOOM???

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
So I got some play sand yesterday and while they were out free ranging, I put some in half the run. They refused to return to the run until the last possible minute, and when they did, they treated the sand as if the mere sight of it there would have them burst into chicken nuggets. They would all get up on one of the run roosts, and then jump to the ramp, and finally walk into the coop. I figured this morning, they would come out and just finally walk on it.

But nooooo! Halfway down the ramp, and then fly to the nearest sand-free spot. Their food and water are all on the sand side! I took some scratch and threw it into the sand, and now they are all standing around the sand as if it's a pool of acid, and stretching their necks as far as they can to get what little scratch is possible to reach
he.gif

I'm guessing this is normal for sand users for a bit, and that they'll finally get used to it?

Make sure the entire run is covered and they will have no choice. Once they walk on it they will be scratching in no time. Its worked great for me with Virginia being so humid in the summer time.

It might take a day or two but they will get used to it. Any time I re-arrange or add something new to my run it throws them for a loop for a day or two. They don't like change but they'll get it.
Edited for atrocious spelling.

Last edited:
Chickens are strange little creatures. This is too funny. Mine do the same thing though when I change something. Last year we tore down their old 4 by 8 coop and converted our 8x8 milking room into a coop for them until their new one gets built. They have way more room but I still have two chickens that will not go in there at night. They go into the goat house and perch on the goat's feeder. It has been a year now since the move. We will be working on our new coop over the next couple of months and I am afraid they are going to have a hard time adjusting! They sure don't like change. But then, I can relate to that, so I just try to help them through it as best I can.

My chickens do that every year when we have our first snowfall
lol.png
They are funny creatures and are not fond of changes. They'll get over it. Try scattering some irresistible treats. My chickens will risk it all for a tomato or watermelon
droolin.gif

Chickens are naturally cautious of anything new. When you think about it, it actually makes quite a bit of sense, considering that pretty much every predator on the face of the earth would love a chicken dinner. A chicken's default attitude towards everything unfamiliar seems to be "it's gonna kill me!" which can be pretty comical at times.

I often give our flock canteloupe rinds and watermelon, but one day I walked in the run with a slice of honeydew melon. The flock reacted as though I had a raccoon in my hand, squawking and flying all over the place. After they quieted down, one of the d'Uccles (who are always greedy for food) decided to chance a bit of the melon, and when she didn't keel over on the spot, the rest knew it was safe and all piled on. A wisp of the rind was the only thing remaining in a few minutes.

I'm going to do what malapinefarm said and go ahead and cover the rest, so they have no choice. There are a couple who have braved it, but they didn't stay on it long. Most of them keep finding ways to jump/fly from one sand free spot to another, to get food or water. I've sprinkled BOSS in the middle, where they couldn't stand at the edge and reach in to get it. It's mostly still sitting there, LOL!

I swear, with chickens, I could almost do without TV for entertainment
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom