Sand in a run

I have sand in the run. It's awesome. Plain old playground sand that I bought at the hardware store. I keep it about 4-6 inches deep and rake it out when it gets full of leaves etc. The poo mostly just disappears and I have zero smell. Good luck!

Thank you one and all.

I now feel more confident about getting sand. I'll probably put a layer of gravel in first to help the drainage.
I was planning on doing it this weekend, but I've developed a ear infection which is excruciating if I don't keep my head upright. The right side of my face has swollen up and my jaws no longer fit together properly! As you can tell, I'm feeling a little sorry for myself
hit.gif

Quote:
I put beach sand in my run (local landscape store) it had a lot of gravel in it. it also had A LOTof debris in it, glass, bits of plastic and what not. I sifted it with a fine mesh and it has worked perfectly. I used all the gravel I sifted out of it for a garden path
smile.png

Connie

That is fancy sand. the sand I got still had sea shells in it
tongue.png
. I'm sure it was just beach sand they use to mix into their soil mixes at the landscape store. still had gravel and junk in it. worked well. what you are looking at is for contractors who need specific type of sand for concrete making and specific building applications. all you need is just cheap sand. got mine at H&H in Vancouver.

Connie

For my out door runs i use a good layer of pea gravel then
3-4 inches of play sand . works wonders and no odor.
the inside coops i have wood floor and Ag lime mixed with wood shavings. and that only gets cleaned out once a year.
but i do stir it once a week if needs be,
add fresh shavings.

Well I found my answer!

I saw this link at BYC of all places! Duh!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=11374-sand-for-your-coops

Anyways, it says you want the coarsest, sharpest sand, and recommends contractor sand. I went to the quarry place I previously posted about and was able to look at samples. The concrete sand fit the bill perfectly. The front end loader dumped a bunch in the back of my pickup (1.35 Tons) and I was charged only $25.65 ($19.00 per ton) for it. (There is a $25 minimum so I just barely got the minimum.
wink.png
)

I then gingerly drove back home and now it's lunch time. After lunch I'll shovel it into the coop. It's amazing just how much the back of my truck sank down when they put the sand in it.

Dan

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom