sand in coop floor

Joemadillo

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
My grand daughter with Lucky
I had seen on here that putting river sand inside works great and stopped by this morning at a company that sells rock,sand, dirt and I ask if they had any river sand and told them what I was planning on doing with it and they didn't have river sand but said she had customers that uses their red sand for the same purpose and was hoping someone could tell me if that would work in place of river sand? I am new to raising chickens and found this site and it is awsome. I have learned so much b y reading what everyone has posted and it has helped me so much. Thanks for any help you may give me.

My DH sells that and it should work just fine as long as it is not clay based. If it is then you will have some issues with moisture and clumping. Play sand works also as long as it is silicate free. Do not use mason sand, it is not ok to use as it tends to be more like sharp shards than grains.

Something to think about before switching to sand is the weight on the floor of your coop and your climate. Sand is very heavy. I am in Portland Oregon and I found that sand in the coop was just so cold and uninsulating in the winter that I switched back to shavings in the coop but I do keep sand in the run, I like the way it drains outside. My coop is not insulated and my floor is raised about a foot so that was my issue with cold. You will need to replenish the sand probably once a year a year or so as it packs, gets displaced and eaten by the hens the level will drop some over time. But its worth it.

My DH sells that and it should work just fine as long as it is not clay based. If it is then you will have some issues with moisture and clumping. Play sand works also as long as it is silicate free. Do not use mason sand, it is not ok to use as it tends to be more like sharp shards than grains.

Something to think about before switching to sand is the weight on the floor of your coop and your climate. Sand is very heavy. I am in Portland Oregon and I found that sand in the coop was just so cold and uninsulating in the winter that I switched back to shavings in the coop but I do keep sand in the run, I like the way it drains outside. My coop is not insulated and my floor is raised about a foot so that was my issue with cold. You will need to replenish the sand probably once a year a year or so as it packs, gets displaced and eaten by the hens the level will drop some over time. But its worth it.
thanks for your help

we are building a coop and looking at the same - sand,
as the problem with pine chips is that it is so hard to pick the poops;
maybe an insulated double floor?
Dieter
(Willamina, Oregon)

My coop was raised off the ground about 3ft. I only insulated the floor of the coop...no where else. For three years I used standard play sand. My coop was 4x5 and it took 150 lbs of sand to cover it (3 bags). When I had 6 hens I needed to change the entire sand bedding every six months to avoid any smell at all. (and that was with 90 degree summer days) When I had 4 hens I waited as long as eight months. I never had any problem with smells ever...I could stick my head in the coop and be fine..although on the hottest days the flies could get a bit bothersome..but the chickens liked them.
gig.gif
During winter we would drop below zero..and I never had any of my hens have issues with frostbite on their feet or combs/waddles. At one point during a heavy snow my four hens had to stay cooped up for just under 2 weeks...so I totally endorse sand.
I have heard that river sand is best...though I have never used...never heard of red sand....but can tell you that masonry sand was terrible..it clumped up in to a cement like mess. I also know that topping sand with shavings/straw turned out to be a big no no...it too all clumped together to make brick like chunks.

Ok, Thanks for the reply. This sight is so awesome with everyone helping out one another. These day's you just don't seem to see as much of that anymore. I have only been raising chickens since about March and I really enjoy it. I have a garden as well and feed them alot from it.

At the moment I don't have any hens...so I'm taking this time to rebuild my coop...but it's funny...I really miss having the buggers.
When we are done dinner I always scrape the plates and say "oh..the chickens are going to eat good tonight" and then get bummed cause I remember they aren't here at the moment and I have to toss those scraps. It's amazing the things you learn about when you have them...more so than any other "pet". =)

am VERY new to raising hen in hot AZ desert. Intrigued by cleanliness and cost of sand vs traditional bedding in coop and run. BUT does sand get too hot in summertime with contant triple digit temps , retain heat, cook coop from within? And is it useable for compost additive since we already have good drainage in decomposed granite soil?

Back
Top Bottom