SANDY: cold weather Chicken loosing feathers and going blind

WhiteCochinLover

Songster
8 Years
Sep 10, 2011
Maryland
We had sandy the hurricane a couple days ago but before that our bantam cochin was molting. She looks horrible! When she was a pullet she had an eye problem. But within this past month she started going blind in one eye and she sleeps all thye time. Today I noticed that her other eye is closing. Her eyes are crusty and swollen. She likes to sit/ sleep next to the other chickens as a guid. She tries to eat and peck for scratch grain but she never gets any because she cant see. This is inhumane so please help me! Something needs to be done! HELP!!!!!

Hi, I am no expert and therefore cannot say what is exactly the matter, but we have a very sick chicken and I know what it feels like to have no one respond!

I hate to say this, but what ever it is taking her eye sight, that is probably her lot in life and unless you are willing to hand feed her and make a separate area for her, then I am horribly afraid to say, that you need to do the deed.

Our chicken is so ill that I am shocked she is alive still. I think she is in a coma because other than her steady breathing, she is as still as could be. If this lasts into tomorrow then my husband is going to end her life!

As you say: it is inhuman to watch them suffering and quite frankly, it is killing me that I can do not a jot for her and just watch her suffering because I just cannot end her life!!!

I am so sorry I have not good news for you and so hope that if someone else respondes, their news is more positive.

Suzanne who knows how you feel.

We had sandy the hurricane a couple days ago but before that our bantam cochin was molting. She looks horrible! When she was a pullet she had an eye problem. But within this past month she started going blind in one eye and she sleeps all thye time. Today I noticed that her other eye is closing. Her eyes are crusty and swollen. She likes to sit/ sleep next to the other chickens as a guid. She tries to eat and peck for scratch grain but she never gets any because she cant see. This is inhumane so please help me! Something needs to be done! HELP!!!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-rockin-chair-and-lay-some-wisdom-on-us/11290

This is a good thread where experienced OT (Old timers) answer questions.

Back
Top Bottom