Satin chicks?

Chikitty

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2024
I just incubated 12 "silkie" eggs. 9 hatched, 7 are definitely silkies but 2 are not. They are even smaller than the silkies, have 4 yellow toes and beak and their skin is not black. They just look like little yellow chicks but with feathered feet. I contacted the breeder that I got the eggs from and their response was that their satin rooster must have snuck in and visited their hens. I thought satins had the black toes, beak and skin? Could these 2 be satin chicks?

On a side note, the two that didn't hatch pipped at the wrong end of their shells and then died. What causes the chick to pip the wrong end?

On a side note, the two that didn't hatch pipped at the wrong end of their shells and then died. What causes the chick to pip the wrong end?
Sometimes they develop in the wrong position and have a hard time hatching. Malpositioned chicks usually pip but then have a hard time zipping.

I have had issues with incorrect positioning, inside their egg. Most common, for me, has been too long in the incubator 'turning' cycle. Chicks usually need 3 days of no 'forced rolling' to allow them to properly position for hatching.
On a few occasions I have experienced the improper positioning even when eggs were naturally incubated by mom.
I always keep a very close eye on pipping chicks. If they are not progressively cracking around the egg, I assume there is an issue.
I have rescued multiple chicks by opening the egg.
A very bright flashlight can illuminate the baby's progress. Often times you can see that their beak is under their wing or even a leg. (Those chicks will pip and die)
You can also use the flashlight to illuminate a clear path (to not touch the chick) to open the egg. Simply create the 'zipper' around the egg and allow the chick to hatch. I remove very tiny pieces of the egg with 'stencil weeding tweezers.'
Be sure the chick completely clears from the egg. If the lining sticks to them and dries, it can create mobility problems for the weak, little, new hatch!

Back
Top Bottom