Saving a baby bunny?

MichelleT

Songster
8 Years
Sep 20, 2014
Denver, CO
I know, I know. Most people would rather NOT have rabbits around, but I don't mind them. This morning I found a baby bunny (a little bigger than a softball) in our chicken yard area. It appears to be paralyzed other than small movements and it's breathing and it's little nose is going. It's eyes are open. It has not been attacked by anything, including the chickens as they were locked in the coop all night.

Back story: a few weeks ago I dealt with a rat problem using carbon dioxide... we plugged every single rat hole we could find with dry ice pellets and then covered those holes. One rat somehow managed to get out of a previously unknown hole (which I later found and filled) and it was acting much the same way. This morning I noticed a hole (rat-like) near one of the prior openings, and the baby bunny was only about 2 feet from that hole. The only thing that makes sense to me is that somehow there is still a large amount of CO2 in the underground cavity and somehow baby bunny got into it.

So, if that's the case and (because I'm a huge softy) and I want to help the little guy or gal, is there anything I can do? I was reading about possibly creating an oxygen tent. I realize that this is most likely a lost cause, but it keeps looking at me with those big eyes and I can't do nothing if I can help it.

It is probably in shock. the best way for it to overcome that is to remain in it's natural habitat. Moving it into a totally new 'home' and handling it will probably push him over the edge. Bunnies are fragile and easily stressed. Put the bunny under a safe , shady, bush with a dish of water and keep an eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom