Saying goodbye to Alfie

Bestofsmall

Crowing
Jun 29, 2022
Coastal N.C.
As some my remember we rescued Alfie was told he looked about 2 -3 yrs old. He was doing great for awhile seemed friendly & protective of the girls when free ranging.One day I opened gate to let them out of pen and he suddenly came at me! Wings out feet flying I tried to kick away from him & landed on my butt. I yelled at him & off he went a few days later he came at me in the yard I used my cane to keep him back not wanting to hurt him but he kept attacking the cane! I swung it at the metal satellite dish beside me which made a loud bang & off he ran! We caught him off the roost that night & put him in a separate area of the pen,he could still see the girls during the day. We let him back with the flock 4 days later & thought all was fine. I let them out to range every afternoon and about a week later had let them out & walked around to front door of course all the girls were following me they always do..as I was going up the steps he got me from behind! Drew blood in 3 places & it hurt! Sis got him that night & put him back in his little pen. He even jumped at the fence to try to get me! He hates me!We are taking him to my neice tomorrow they have chickens & kids but she says if he attacks anyone he will be stew! We feel bad for him but from what I've read there is'nt much hope once he gets this aggressive. We loved him & tried to give him a good life but don't think I want anymore roosters.

Attachments

• 20221004_163832.jpg
    20221004_163832.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
Oh wow. I'm surprised your niece is willing to take a known agressive rooster when she has children. He will certainly attack again.
Sorry he didn't work out for you. It's a bummer, but you'll be much happier not to be looking over your shoulder constantly.
Thanks she has had chickens a long time they raise some to eat so she knows what to look for.

Good idea rehiring him. A lot of people come to us to rehome aggressive roosters, you’d be amazed how their attitudes can turn around in a large flock setting…suddenly they’re not the boss anymore!! I hope your niece has luck with the rooster.

Good idea rehiring him. A lot of people come to us to rehome aggressive roosters, you’d be amazed how their attitudes can turn around in a large flock setting…suddenly they’re not the boss anymore!! I hope your niece has luck with the rooster.
We are looking to rehome a rooster. If you are located within 5 or so hours of driving from Quincy, California and are willing to take one in, let me know. Or if you can refer a person or group in that area who might be interested, that would be super helpful. He is a 6 month old Bielefelder who is sweet with humans, but is mortal enemies with our head hen and the tension between them disrupts the flock equilibrium too much.

We are looking to rehome a rooster. If you are located within 5 or so hours of driving from Quincy, California and are willing to take one in, let me know. Or if you can refer a person or group in that area who might be interested, that would be super helpful. He is a 6 month old Bielefelder who is sweet with humans, but is mortal enemies with our head hen and the tension between them disrupts the flock equilibrium too much.
I’m sorry, I really would love to take him in and would be perfectly willing to, but we live in Conover NC, I’ll look around for people in that area though!

I’m sorry, I really would love to take him in and would be perfectly willing to, but we live in Conover NC, I’ll look around for people in that area though!
Thank you!

So sorry about your experience. I used to have this bantam that was so bad that I needed mittens on just to handle him! Whenever I picked him up, he was so much against me that he'd bite my hands as hard as possible. I gave him away on Craigslist and he ended up so bad at his new home, they put him back on Craigslist! There was no taming him. You'd be surprised what a little two pound bird could do.

Back
Top Bottom