Scaley Leg Mites?

reba353

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
North Alabama
I have a hen who has been acting sick lately, not moving and breathing loudly. I recently saw her legs looked funky but its hard to tell because they are feathered. Is this scaley leg mites? Could it be the reason she feels so down?

That looks like scaley leg mite, but that shouldn't be causing the symptoms you're describing. It sounds like something more serious is going on with your hen.

I have a hen who has been acting sick lately, not moving and breathing loudly. I recently saw her legs looked funky but its hard to tell because they are feathered. Is this scaley leg mites? Could it be the reason she feels so down?

Can you post a photo of her whole body, including face/comb? (Any video of the breathing?)
How old is she?
What do you mean breathing loudly? Wheezing, gasping for breath? Any coughing, sneezing, runny eyes/nose, any obstruction/sores in the mouth/throat?
What does the bottom of the feet look like? Any sign of scabs, swelling, bumblefoot infection?

I agree with @SIMZ it does look like she has some scaly leg mites. You can soak the feet in a little warm soapy water and gently clean them with a soft brush. Apply some vaseline, coconut oil, A+D ointment or I have heard some people use VetRx. The idea is to smother the mites. You will need to treat the feet/legs everyday for at least a week, then follow up every couple of days for a while until it clears up.

Check her over well for any other signs of lice/mites (under wings and vent area). If you see any treat with a poultry dust.

The breathing loudly is more concerning. If it is consistent, then vet care would be best. There can be several things that can cause breathing loudly. The most common would be some type of respiratory illness. Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza and Infectious Bronchitis are a few. If you suspect respiratory illness, then separate her so you can monitor her symptoms and make sure she is eating/drinking well. Add some poultry vitamins to her water. Depending on the cause of the loud breathing, antibiotic treatment may be helpful.

Scaly Leg Mites:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens.html

Poultry Disease:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

It is almost like a gurgling breathing but there is no runny discharge in her nostrils or eyes or anything, she is eating pretty normally but I havent seen her drink. I will get more pictures tonight but I have been giving her sone tylan 50 cause I originally thought it was only respiratory.

I had two hens with scaley leg mites who acted depressed and lethargic. They were hardly walking by the time I got smart.
I soaked their legs for several minutes in a solution of coconut oil, sunflower oil and a few drops of tea tree oil. I warmed the mixture slightly in the microwave first. I just did it once as they are skittish hens, and their legs still seemed sore for a couple of days but they are worlds better now. They roam around the way they used to and play fight with a little pullet I put in with them. Their legs look much better. I won't hesitate to do it again but for now I am just leaving them.

I was thinking of soaking thier legs in gasoline cause I heard that kills the mites the fastest. I am leaving to go back to school in a few days and my mother is unable to catch and medicate them while I am gone. Would this be okay?

I was thinking of soaking thier legs in gasoline cause I heard that kills the mites the fastest. I am leaving to go back to school in a few days and my mother is unable to catch and medicate them while I am gone. Would this be okay?

While I'm sure it's effective, this seems toxic and horrible.

It is almost like a gurgling breathing but there is no runny discharge in her nostrils or eyes or anything, she is eating pretty normally but I havent seen her drink. I will get more pictures tonight but I have been giving her sone tylan 50 cause I originally thought it was only respiratory.
She doesn't look well. How old is she?
What dosage of Tylan50 are you giving?

While the gasoline treatment does sound painful, it is the "fastest" and possibly the most effective treatment. But you need to read the directions carefully. There is follow-up treatment that needs to followed over the course of several days. It may be o.k. to do, but since your girl is having trouble with her breathing, the fumes from the gas may make it worse. Your best course may be to use some VetRx on the legs until you go back to school. This has been shown effective on SLM and people use it for respiratory ailments as well. Personally I am with @ShanandGem the soaking and applying oil(s) is more of a traditional method, that may be a bit "slower" but just as effective.

Check to make sure her crop if functioning properly - check it at night and first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink. The crop should be full at night and empty in the morning. Some gurgling can be due to crop issues (impacted or sour crop). If it seems to be crop related, make sure she is drinking plenty of water and has a source of grit available. Impacted and/or sour crop needs to be addressed because it can progress. I will link a very good article for you that has invaluable information that is worth a read.

Also check her abdomen to see if she feels bloated or fluid filled. If she lays eggs or is close to laying age, she may be having some type of reproductive issue.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Back
Top Bottom