scaley leg treatment

Hens having Fun

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2023
Sydney NSW Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all i just received a hen with bad scaley leg. the previous owner has been rubbing Vaseline on her legs but i believe it needs more treatment. i have topical ivomec my vet gave me for my rooster that had lice. can i use this to treat the hen. any advice would be much appreciated. thank you

Ivermectin should sort out the scaly leg mites. Do a repeat dose in two weeks.

You can give the hen a warm foot bath and use a toothbrush to gently exfoliate her scales. Then use a toothbrush and apply Vaseline or castor oil.

Bear in mind that even when the mites are dead, the scales won’t return to normal until they are naturally shed and new ones have grown underneath, which can take several months.

Ivermectin won’t kill them. Nu-stock ointment for livestock works great and is a quicker treatment. You can dilute the ointment with mineral oil or baby oil. It contains sulfur, doesn’t smell great but it works wonders. rub the ointment all over scales on legs and in a few min you’ll notice that the oil has soaked in. This stuff stays on the hen for a while. Wait about a week and treat again, then in two weeks you should see new scale growth. It takes three weeks for new scales to grow in. Also the chickens don’t like the taste of the ointment so they won’t eat it.

Ivermectin should sort out the scaly leg mites. Do a repeat dose in two weeks.

You can give the hen a warm foot bath and use a toothbrush to gently exfoliate her scales. Then use a toothbrush and apply Vaseline or castor oil.

Bear in mind that even when the mites are dead, the scales won’t return to normal until they are naturally shed and new ones have grown underneath, which can take several months.
thank you so much for your reply, I will try this. The people that I got her from said they had never wormed her since they had her. so I will ivermec her. also i will use Nu-stock as suggested by another member her.

[
thank you so much for your reply, I will try this. The people that I got her from said they had never wormed her since they had her. so I will ivermec her. also i will use Nu-stock as suggested by another member her.

I’ve had success using an ivermectin based product to treat scaly leg mites but I did couple it with the castor oil treatment and I use a toothbrush to apply castor oil to my flock’s legs once a week as a preventative now.

That’s great you found some Nu-Stock and that’s a better price that my preliminary search yielded!

For worming I recommend Avitrol Plus tablets. It’s $15-16 dollars from Vet-N-Pet Direct or Dine-A-Chook. It will deal with every kind of worm and the safety margins are wide. It contains praziquantel which unfortunately there is no data for egg withholding. Praziquantel is the medication that treats tapeworm. I’ve never had an issue eating the eggs afterwards. You could give it two weeks to be safe.

The tablets are good because you can give each bird the proper dose as compared to a product like Kilverm which has levimasole as it’s active ingredient but it’s hard to make sure each bird gets the amount they need. There is also Flubenol (flubenzadole based) powder available which you can mix in with their food.

The ivermectin should deal with blood/tissue eating external parasites and may paralyse some gut worms but shouldn’t be relied upon as a comprehensive wormer as far as I’ve read.

For worming I recommend Avitrol Plus tablets. It’s $15-16 dollars from Vet-N-Pet Direct or Dine-A-Chook. It will deal with every kind of worm and the safety margins are wide. It contains praziquantel which unfortunately there is no data for egg withholding. Praziquantel is the medication that treats tapeworm. I’ve never had an issue eating the eggs afterwards. You could give it two weeks to be safe.
thank you for your advice , so very helpful, really appreciate it. I will get some Avitrol Plus. Thank you for sharing where you buy yours from, so nice of you

The tablets are good because you can give each bird the proper dose as compared to a product like Kilverm which has levimasole as it’s active ingredient but it’s hard to make sure each bird gets the amount they need. There is also Flubenol (flubenzadole based) powder available which you can mix in with their food.
thank you for this informaton you have been so helpful , I am so very grateful. i will look into Flubenol powder

Also it’s just great that you’ve taken in this hen and are going to do right by her. Thank you for being so caring and responsible <3

Sounds like she needs some TLC.
Yes where I got her from the dog had attacked a few of her friends and she was the only one left :( I had two hens and I lost one unfortunately to old age (7 years old) and so i went on a search to find her a friend as I read chickens should not be alone. Just slowly introducing them at the moment and giving her anything that she may need. thank you so much for all your help. Truly appreciate all your advice and sharing your knowledge :)

Back
Top Bottom