Scalped Cockeral

Pics
HeiHeisMom, are you having trouble with shaping it to fit him or is he fidgeting with it to pull it off?

I drew a couple diagrams of ways to try. The first one is what I did and just tied it using the 4 long strips. This may be harder to do than I'd thought of, because I grow my fingernails long and shape them to a point at the tip. It allows me to do minute, dexterous stuff like that easier.
View attachment 1607183

If that does not work for you, you can alternately try the number "2" method. Cut the fabric so one side is slightly tapered down narrower than the opposite. If put on like the crappy drawing shows it should allow him to move better. You'd need to tape this one in place.
View attachment 1607184

If he freaks out about having something on the back of his head, should you have bee's wax lip balm lying around, you can make a pseudo salve out of that mixed with the plantain pulp and just smear it on the troubled area. That might actually be better because you said a damaged area near his eye got re-opened. In highly mobile places like the face that's probably the best option.

I hope this helps and gives you what you need to proceed. I apologize if anything I say right now doesn't make sense - I've been really sick and am having a difficult time thinking clearly tonight. If you need any clarifications let me know. Wishing you and your chicky boy the best.
Thanks, I've tried one like that but he refused to let me put it on him.
It's not the back of his head as much as it's the right side of his face.

I hope you know "Bernie" is a little rooster. Pointy hackle feathers in his cape, pointy saddle feathers. He is a rooster. The pointy saddle feathers never lie. Look it up if you don't believe me.
:old:pop

Warning: graphic pics at end.

Our 5 week old Cockerel got pinned between a post and side of coop.
The bigger hens started eating his face off before we found him.
Has anyone had a chook bounce back from similar injuries?
Does the skin grow back?
Cleaned his wounds, hydrating with electrolytes. Drinking on his own.
If this little booger pulls through, he'll be one tough Roo. View attachment 1599995 View attachment 1599997
PS can you post another pic of this hurt one. It looks way too dark for a barred rock roo. It looks like it may be a pullet.

The coloring of the Barred Plymouth Rock is distinct. The barring on the feathers continues down to the skin. On the cock, the black and white bars are of equal width and end in a dark tip. In the hen, the black bars are larger than the light bars, so that the cock appears slightly lighter in color, and the hen darker.

The coloring of the Barred Plymouth Rock is distinct. The barring on the feathers continues down to the skin. On the cock, the black and white bars are of equal width and end in a dark tip. In the hen, the black bars are larger than the light bars, so that the cock appears slightly lighter in color, and the hen darker.
Depends on line. Mine are pretty close to the same "darkness".
Of course, the cockerel has much crisper/distinct barring and yep absolutely goes to the skin, even the fuzz/fluff on his butt is barred.

OP may be able to tell us the "source" of cockerel, that way we will have a better idea.

upload_2018-12-4_22-36-8.png

Depends on line. Mine are pretty close to the same "darkness".
Of course, the cockerel has much crisper/distinct barring and yep absolutely goes to the skin, even the fuzz/fluff on his butt is barred.

OP may be able to tell us the "source" of cockerel, that way we will have a better idea.

View attachment 1607882
Where did you get tailless barred rocks, or she just missing them? She almost looks like she has araucana in her.

20181119_100713.jpg

Where did you get tailless barred rocks, or she just missing them? She almost looks like she has araucana in her.
LOL She's not tailess! She is just holding it down, she had been sleeping in my arms and I set her down for a photo:) These particular BR do hold their tails/have a lower station than a hatchery BR though!
Only when really riled up do they hold their tails fairly high:gig
I'll post a pullet to compare to my older hatchery gal, you can see the difference
upload_2018-12-4_22-56-45.png

Does your strain have much Dominique in them. Doesn't Doms usually have a pea comb instead of single? But from the pic your rooster sorta looks like a cuckoo pattern. I've never seen any show barred rocks, is it a show bird?
This has me fumbuzzled.
:gig

Wasn't joking at all...holding medicine is not the point.

Exactly!

Oh, I see. Sorry, I had missed the context entirely and thought you were perhaps responding in my direction. I hadn't seen the update about him scratching because it itches. My "alerts" for the forum are not showing a large portion of new posts to threads I follow for some unknown reason.

Back
Top Bottom