Scaly Leg - is it still active?

mvdct

Songster
6 Years
Nov 17, 2016
Bristol, UK.
Hi BYC community,

Can I get your thoughts?

In the summer, our oldest hen, a two and a half year old Wyandotte (otherwise in good health), had what we thought were some signs of Scaly Leg.

We tried to treat it by covering her legs in Vaseline on a few seperate occassions.

We took a picture of the recently cleaned leg on the 25th of August. And then again a few days ago in October - about 6 weeks later.

Attached are both photos. To me, the extent of the raised scales seems about the same. No better or worse in the second photo. My question: is that good? Is that bad? Should we be doing more treatment? Or will the scales stay like that for a while?

Thoughts please. Thanks in advance.

August and October photo below (hopefully)

08-25 SL (2).JPG
10-07 SL (1).JPG

Looks like dirt under the scales .... Have you tried soaking in Epsom Salt bath, gently scrubbing before putting Vaseline? From my notes on Scaley Legs ....

Scaly Legs - Soak in warm water & mild dish soap. With toothbrush scrub with vinegar, garlic or Neem Oil. Smear leg with Coconut Oil, Vaseline or Bag Balm. 1x wk for 2 - 3 wks. Clean out coop; remove shavings; spray Orange Insect Spray or DE, spread lavender, lemon grass, thyme, wormwood in shavings

Hi BYC community,

Can I get your thoughts?

In the summer, our oldest hen, a two and a half year old Wyandotte (otherwise in good health), had what we thought were some signs of Scaly Leg.

We tried to treat it by covering her legs in Vaseline on a few seperate occassions.

We took a picture of the recently cleaned leg on the 25th of August. And then again a few days ago in October - about 6 weeks later.

Attached are both photos. To me, the extent of the raised scales seems about the same. No better or worse in the second photo. My question: is that good? Is that bad? Should we be doing more treatment? Or will the scales stay like that for a while?

Thoughts please. Thanks in advance.

August and October photo below (hopefully)

View attachment 1560461 View attachment 1560462
I found I needed to do the legs 3 nights in a row, leave it for a week and do it for 3 consecutive nights again and again two weeks later.
I mix Vaseline with Betadine Gel 75%/25%. The betadine is anti fungal.
The scales don’t go back to normal until new scales grow so you can’t actually tell if you’ve got all the mite eggs for some time.
The legs in your pic look pretty good.
BTW you shouldn't scrub the legs, it's easy to damage the scales.

Back
Top Bottom