Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
Quote:
There's just something funny about this... sort of like the Bare Naked Runt Chicken that was photographed standing on a stove top...
hide.gif

my girl has been hobbling all over today... she has even eaten some.
I lined the floor with newspaper, took the top off of the cat crate, and let her go to town.

She seems happy.. keeping my fingers crossed.
fl.gif

i've been wondering if my two feather-legged roos (light brahma mutts) have mites... or if it was just feathers coming in badly. based on the feedback here (and the pix - thanks nifty!) i'm thinking it might be mites!

is this specific to feather-legged breeds??? none of the other (non feather legs) are showing any signs. since its just the two roos... how can i be sure? would it hurt to treat anyway?? as they arent layers i dont see a downside, or am i missing something? we generally dont run for the rx's but i'm becoming convinced that action should be taken.

not to stir the pot - but i see that my hubby is right. you CAN fix everything with WD40!

ultasol - if you are out there --- why wouldnt you just inject/give orally? why under the wing? i'm intrigued....

thanks!

call me redneck but i love the feel of gasoline and wd on my skin, and all birds can get scaly leg. feather legs are just alot tougher to treat ounce they have it.

I am currently treating two of my silkies for scaley leg mites with vasoline which is very messy. I read one post, maybe not in this thread, not to get it on their feet feathers but find that impossible. I am going to try the dipping method as some of you have in veg oil this weekend with some vet RX in it. It sounds easiler and they might like it better. However, by dipping you totally get the feathers??? I would not mind cutting the feathers off their feet just to get them healed faster. They are show girls and pets only to me. Can you trim the feathers off or is there risk of them bleeding. Their feet just look uncomfortable. It has been an on and off battle with just these two girls out of 16. Love this forum:ya

Quote:
Nifty,
Great Thread. 2 years and going strong! Wow...

I've just read through the entire thread, and although I don't have leg mites (thank goodness), I continue to learn more every time I come back to the site. BYC has me hooked on Chickens! [We’re expanding this year, and I just ordered 50(!) Delawares from a hatchery. We’re selling a good portion of them, but I have to say I couldn’t have done it without BYC. Good job!]

Ok, enough kudos;

I’m dying to know. What did you find that worked, or didn't work for your leg mites? Are you ladies all better now?

Do tell!

Thanks!
Marty

Clean out coop---mix 1.5 ozs Permethrin 10% in two gallon sprayer. Spray out coop, let dry, install new bedding, and then start on the effected or all birds. Want to get all the vermin in one shot ??? 3 oz of Permethrin 10% in 5 gallons water (slightly warm) and dip each bird until soaked. This gets rid of all the vermin in one stroke. Do not get into eyes or face..towel off bird. Then I mix one cup motor oil to 2 oz Sevin dust and treat feet. Repeat on feet as necessary. Works for me...

SCALY LEG REMEDY
Every winter I have a problem with scaly leg and have tried everything short of nasty chemicals. I believe I now have the answer!!
The answer is easy and inexpensive...it's simply povidone iodine (aka Betadine). I filled a spray bottle and sprayed as many chicken legs as I could one evening. I couldn't believe the results overnight! A few birds with tough cases have needed repeat sprays but it must be soothing because many now sit still while I saturate their legs.
The least expensive place to buy is a farm supply store in the dairy cow section. Make sure you buy povidone iodine and not the tincture which will burn and irritate.
Hope you have as good of results as I did!
PS: My egg production is going up rapidly also!!!!

I have been reading on this, as I also have an outbreak of scaly leg mite. Very helpful & interesting. Another question on this; a few of my Silkies with the mites have overgrown nails now (which seemed to happen VERY fast). I have clipped them, and am going the melaleuca & vaseline route. *Question: will the nails go back to normal at some point, or do I now have to clip them regularly?

Back
Top Bottom