Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
We have been using Vermont Beast Balm- and it's smothered everything that we weren't able to pick off initially. However, the damage to one of our hen's toes was too much. After the cleaning and blaming, this toe hung (hang nail style) to the side. There appeared to be healthy nail growth and the skin was still pinkish so I left it hoping it would at least heal crooked. But over the last few days, the toe began to hang further and further. So I amputated this evening, which wasn't AS BAD AS I thought though still a little 'icky'. But what's icky when you're standing in chicken poop, really?

Toe off. I dunked in iodine, wiped with gauze and applied liquid bandage/adhesive stuff. Seemed to do the trick. Now, you might ask what I removed the toe with... SUPER SHARP STERILE dog toe-nail clippers. Not for the faint of heart but it's done and she's walking easier and on the road to recovery. (I've checked her a few times since and she is resting, with no bleeding).

Sorry for the lack of pictures but when these things happen, my camera is the furthest from my mind.

Hi Everyone
I think I have the scaly leg mites in my coop now too. This is the first for me - after 8 years. I separated the worse of the girls - I have the vaseline...from what I have been reading, I need to scrap off the legs first, then apply the lotion? I should soften the legs in a bath first to help this process?
It is my sweet appenzellar, and it looks like my Brahma Roo also has it...Anything else? I will scrape out the coop, is there anything special I should use to clean it out with? Thank you all - as always, I enjoy coming on to learn,have fun, and see the great photos!

Hi Everyone
I think I have the scaly leg mites in my coop now too. This is the first for me - after 8 years. I separated the worse of the girls - I have the vaseline...from what I have been reading, I need to scrap off the legs first, then apply the lotion? I should soften the legs in a bath first to help this process?
It is my sweet appenzellar, and it looks like my Brahma Roo also has it...Anything else? I will scrape out the coop, is there anything special I should use to clean it out with? Thank you all - as always, I enjoy coming on to learn,have fun, and see the great photos!

If the scales are just alittle bit raised you can get away with just smothering them every few days and using a toothbrush to scrape away the gunk. I honestly do not know how these tiny buggers get to the chickens and why one can have it and no one else....Could try some SEVIN/poultry dust in the coop tho, can't hurt.

We have been using Vermont Beast Balm- and it's smothered everything that we weren't able to pick off initially. However, the damage to one of our hen's toes was too much. After the cleaning and blaming, this toe hung (hang nail style) to the side. There appeared to be healthy nail growth and the skin was still pinkish so I left it hoping it would at least heal crooked. But over the last few days, the toe began to hang further and further. So I amputated this evening, which wasn't AS BAD AS I thought though still a little 'icky'. But what's icky when you're standing in chicken poop, really?

Toe off. I dunked in iodine, wiped with gauze and applied liquid bandage/adhesive stuff. Seemed to do the trick. Now, you might ask what I removed the toe with... SUPER SHARP STERILE dog toe-nail clippers. Not for the faint of heart but it's done and she's walking easier and on the road to recovery. (I've checked her a few times since and she is resting, with no bleeding).

Sorry for the lack of pictures but when these things happen, my camera is the furthest from my mind.

BRAVO for being able to take care of Miss Hens toe....yes it is gross and yucky. I have a little banty hen right now that has an iffy toe......So I might be doing some surgery...lets hope not..LOL

Update on use of nu stock. After the first application they were completely cleared. I did a second application to be safe. In short it was a complete success. I have also asked it to my goats knees where they lose hair and within a week new hair was growing. I ALSO used it on one adopted hen for gleet. She is now laying eggs every other day which is good for her breed.

Has anyone used Scaly-Leg Protector from Manna Pro for leg mites? It's Potassium Sorbate 0.1% I'm using it now and will let you know how it goes. I almost bought the Nu Stock, but this other product says specifically it's for leg mites (and other mites as well). It also says its non-toxic.

Has anyone used Scaly-Leg Protector from Manna Pro for leg mites?  It's Potassium Sorbate 0.1%  I'm using it now and will let you know how it goes.  I almost bought the Nu Stock, but this other product says specifically it's for leg mites (and other mites as well).  It also says its non-toxic.

Don't waste yer $$$$ on it, you can get vaseline for cheeps and it works well. All you want to do is smother the buggies so they die and fall off. If you google Potassium sorbate [ I did] you will find that it has no bug killing properties...Nu Stock does work well but vaseline is cheeper.....

Good morning everybody,

I have just yesterday found this site on the look for help to my chicks. They do have this scaley nites on their feet and I want to try and help them now by bathing the feet, brushing them and dipping them into oil. What I could not reed out of the instructions is whether you soak the feet as long as it needs for the crusts to loosen or whether you just clean the dirt out of the crusts and than dip them into oil. Can anybody assist me here? What I found really cute is our cock. He closed his eyes when we soaked his feet like he was enjoying the treatment. His feet are really bad, so he is the one needing most of it. Looking forward to hear from you guys because I really want to help that poor guy since he has had a lot of strain in his short life already since our sons dog has almost killed him and only due to a lot of pampering is he back to normal

Hello everybody,
I have just yesterday found this site on the look for help to my chicks. They do have this scaley nites on their feet and I want to try and help them now by bathing the feet, brushing them and dipping them into oil. What I could not reed out of the instructions is whether you soak the feet as long as it needs for the crusts to loosen or whether you just clean the dirt out of the crusts and than dip them into oil. Can anybody assist me here? What I found really cute is our cock. He closed his eyes when we soaked his feet like he was enjoying the treatment. His feet are really bad, so he is the one needing most of it. Looking forward to hear from you guys because I really want to help that poor guy since he has had a lot of strain in his short life already since our sons dog has almost killed him and only due to a lot of pampering is he back to normal

Hello everybody,
Yes, soak feet/legs wash and gently scrub scales,get them as clean as you can,then apply your oil or vaseline. The vaseline or oil will smother the mites and also moisturize their scales.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom