Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
I use Vicks vaporub. The menthol has a soothing effect and it stays put . We have very wet springs here and I find that once the mud dries on their legs it too works , in that it smothers the mites. You might say " mother natures " way of dealing with mites.

I would say it will take a little while due to the severity of the damage. The castor oil will soothe the tissue and seal off the raw areas so they won't get dirt packed into them.

BF...I still have a tub and a half of bag balm and a couple tubes of NuStock.....wanted to slather up the girls this weekend. These two things will be okay to use, right.....when I run out, I'll get some castor oil if they will work for now.

One of the oldest and effective remedies for scabies mites, which scaly leg mites are closely related to, is sulfur mixed with pitch or oil. That goes back to 25 AD. Can't get much more natural than that. Sulfur salves are available that do the trick. Nu-Stock has sulfur in it, and when mixed with Vaseline would work well too, since Nu-Stock can be too pasty. What you want is oil penetration under the scales, and the added miticide for quicker results. Many folks don't take the time to massage it into the legs and against the directional growth of scales. That, and not doing it often enough is why it takes longer to eliminate the problem.

Last edited:
One of the oldest and effective remedies for scabies mites, which scaly leg mites are closely related to, is sulfur mixed with pitch or oil. That goes back to 25 AD. Can't get much more natural than that. Sulfur salves are available that do the trick. Nu-Stock has permethrin in it, and when mixed with Vaseline would work well too, since Nu-Stock can be too pasty. What you want is oil penetration under the scales, and the added miticide for quicker results. Many folks don't take the time to massage it into the legs and against the directional growth of scales. That, and not doing it often enough is why it takes longer to eliminate the problem.

Nustock does not list permethrin in the ingredients....just sulfur, pine tar and mineral oil. The NS I get is not a bit pasty, but more goopy and oily. Not sure where you are finding NS with permethrin in it?

My mistake. I was thinking of Swat ointment ingredients. Yes, Nu-Stock has sulfur and pine oil. It does get pasty and hard in cold environments. Rooster Booster Sulfur Salve doesn't.

Last edited:
When I made my own NS I made it too thick and it did become really pasty..and didn't do the job like the original consistency, which is more oily. The Castor Oil, on the other hand, is just perfect no matter what temp it is and massages easily into the spaces under the scales. A natural insecticide and also conditions the scales for fast healing and new growth. It also works great as a natural dewormer, so handy to have in the medicine chest for both problems.

Lots of different oils can be used for scaly leg mites. Fancychooklady mentioned Vick's Vapo Rub. I've never tried it, but I see how it could be effective. We used menthol in Mite-A-Thol in the past for tracheal mites in bees. Personal choice, though I have seen the results quick with sulfur based products for scaly leg mites like I mentioned. Doesn't smell too good though, lol. Do you have any research or trial links with castor oil used in poultry to eliminate intestinal worms?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom