Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
Yep.... folks have been using castor oil for intestinal worms since before my grandma's grandma's grandma..and before that. A simple Google search of castor oil and internal parasites will yield all sorts of info. Not many scientific studies but among the anecdotal stories one finds the author citing certain studies. Not much call for government studies on something as cheap and easily found as castor oil...can't get any money off that. If I had more time, I'd find you more..but here's a few.

http://skinverse.com/castor-oils-many-forgotten-uses-part-1-medicinal-values.html

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...28/castor-oil-to-treat-health-conditions.aspx

http://journal-phytology.com/index.php/phyto/article/viewFile/6073/3112 This one is the most on point for the topic/question.

http://www.edgarcayce.org/are/holistic_health/data/caserep1.html

I didn't know castor oil could be used as a wormer. I'm very interested. Any ideas on how to administer for this purpose? Could it be used on other animals as well, like sheep? I wonder if mine might be ingesting some anyways, if they are preening at their oily feathers. I'm going to get some updated photos after I've used the castor oil for a longer time.

I used it on some new birds I picked up just for eating and butchered them two weeks later...found no worms. And, believe me, if any chicken was going to have internal parasites, these would have...they had mites, lice and scale mites. They had to be dusted, legs and feet slathered in castor oil and an oral dosage given even before I'd let them set foot on my land~they were living in horrible circumstances that were ripe for parasite infestations.

They were kept in a separate pen and fed fermented feeds to clean out their poor systems and improve their meat quality and taste before processing.

A few other BYC members tried it and reported cherry red combs within a couple of days...of course, there is no way of knowing if it took care of the worms, but they reported worms in the feces before treating and no more worms, increased activity levels, increased comb color and increased laying after treatment...so I'm thinking it worked.

I'm not convinced castor oil is an effective wormer. It may be a good laxative, but given too often would do nothing more than dehydrate the chicken, just as it would to a human.

I dosed chickens and it didn't induce diarrhea. And why would one give it too often? If a wormer is effective, one only needs to use it once. One dose a year, if that, is not going to dehydrate a chicken. As to the effectiveness, it is toxic to the worms and one study showed it worked faster than the med normally used for deworming.

I'm convinced by examining the small bowel of the chickens I've dosed.

I dosed chickens and it didn't induce diarrhea. And why would one give it too often? If a wormer is effective, one only needs to use it once. One dose a year, if that, is not going to dehydrate a chicken. As to the effectiveness, it is toxic to the worms and one study showed it worked faster than the med normally used for deworming.

I'm convinced by examining the small bowel of the chickens I've dosed.

It has been used for centuries to remedy upset stomachs as a laxative and have yet to see any proof it removes intestinal worms, or is even toxic to them. Climate and soil composition determine the population of worms, their eggs, and vectors that carry them. You may not have found intestinal worms in those chickens because they aren't in your environment, and castor oil had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
In the first link there is reference about castor oil discharging tapeworms. Given the fact that tapeworms can be large and come in various lengths and shapes, I can believe that fecal material built up in the digestive tract could possibly "push" and flush the tapeworm out of the body... perhaps maybe true in chickens as well, but I doubt it since they are always excreting very frequently...there isnt enough fecal matter material to "push" or force the tapeworms out of the chicken. Additionally, tapeworms and all types chicken roundworms; their mouth parts are embedded in the intestinal lining. Watery fecal material passes over them and they are not released. It takes a wormer to paralyze them or affect their nervous system or kill them directly in a manner that they release themselves from the intestinal lining. They are either absorbed as protein or excreted in feces.
As far as castor oil treating scleroderma......I can assure you that I know about scleroderma....and castor oil is nowhere in the equation when it comes to that autoimmune disease. I know that for a fact.

My head roo seemed fine this am when he came out for breakfast this morning. When I went to close the doors and hang the bucket to drain their fermented feed overnight I noticed him not putting ANY weight on his right leg. He didn't react to bending his toes, knee, hips or hock joints. His bumblefoot does seem to have come back on that foot but I noticed his scales look different on that leg.

I guess I'm getting Castor Oil tomorrow and treating everyone. Can I coat his foot with castor oil and then cover it with vet wrap after I do bumblefoot surgery again?

Fellas..no one is trying to sell you castor oil for dosing for worms. If you don't think it would work, don't use it.
idunno.gif
Here in the hills generations have been given it for a spring tonic...yes, to rid the body of worms. I'm sorry that I don't have any proof for you, but if you are looking for an argument about castor oil, you are barking up the wrong tree. I don't care to argue about it...or anything else, for that matter. All I know is that it worked for others, has worked for humans for many generations and it worked well for these new birds.

Not sure why it has incensed you so much that you want to argue about castor oil, but it's a non-issue~coke them birds full of medicine if it pleases you, it makes no matter to me.
wink.png
People also argue that garlic, pumpkin seeds, ginger root, etc. do not dispel worms but many have attested that they do, though there are little proven studies.

In the end, the only person I'm interested in impressing with the information is myself...and I'm duly impressed with castor oil.
smile.png

Quote:
Sure can..it works as an antibacterial, antifungal preparation...if you can believe all the information out there.
roll.png
Check your protein levels in your feeds. Something is causing this bumblefoot and it could be high protein levels creating infectious gout in your bird.

Back
Top Bottom