Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
Updates on my Brahma roosters feet:

Castor oil two times a week and we did penicillin x4 days a while back. Tonight we'll oil up again. I think it's slowly working.

Wow...he had it bad, didn't he? While you have him next time, you might clip those nails also...they look pretty long and uncomfortable. Not that it will help with his current problem, but could make his life a little easier.

Will a hens scales ever go back down after treating them for scaly leg mites?

I've treated my hens over and over with oil dips. Surely I've killed the mites by now. Their legs are not any worse looking but the scales are not going back down either. I see photos of other hens legs with these soft, smooth, perfect scales and I'm wondering if I need to keep treating until my hens feet look like that again?

I've treated my hens over and over with oil dips.  Surely I've killed the mites by now.  Their legs are not any worse looking but the scales are not going back down either.  I see photos of other hens legs with these soft, smooth, perfect scales and I'm wondering if I need to keep treating until my hens feet look like that again?

It really depends on the extent of damage. One of my rescue hens scales will never go back. They were forced outwards with infection from the mites. I made up a mix of 1 part castor oil, 1 part Vaseline , a teaspoon of sulphur and goodly splash of lavender oil. I have only done one application and it seems to have done the job. I have also found spray olive oil to be easy to apply, and effective on mild cases.

When the mites have been resolved, the damaged, old scales slough off and new, supple scales will be underneath. Those with long term damage or that had mites very badly may have a longer recovery time for sloughing of scales and scale regrowth. I've had good scale regrowth using the Nustock and Castor oil, but the castor oil usage yielded much faster scale regrowth and a much more supple, healthy regrowth all the way around.

If you just used simple cooking type oils, the mite problem may not be resolved as of yet.

I've treated my hens over and over with oil dips. Surely I've killed the mites by now. Their legs are not any worse looking but the scales are not going back down either. I see photos of other hens legs with these soft, smooth, perfect scales and I'm wondering if I need to keep treating until my hens feet look like that again?

I'm anxious for mine to re-grow back too and I hope it doesn't take too long. I feel a little uneasy wondering if I got the mites, since I would equate new scales with no mites, but I guess that's not the case. I'm going to continue doing castor oil treatments for a while just to be sure. Not so fun in the winter time, but I want them all healthy by spring.

Wow...he had it bad, didn't he? While you have him next time, you might clip those nails also...they look pretty long and uncomfortable. Not that it will help with his current problem, but could make his life a little easier.

Is there a thread on nails? I've never done it before and don't know how. When are you supposed to do it?

Is there a thread on nails? I've never done it before and don't know how. When are you supposed to do it?

You can trim them much like you'd trim a dog or cat's nails...just don't clip down into the quick or the meat of the nail and you are fine. You can even use the same tools to do it. Normally, a chicken that is out on free range all the time and using those claws for hunting and foraging won't ever need to be clipped but birds kept in a coop/run system where scratching for food all day is at a minimum can have overgrown nails to the point of toe distortion~the nail length causes the toe to twist every time he sets his foot flat on the ground...not good, not comfy.

Hi I got oldies 15 bantams and I own 7 week olds lomenbrown chicks my bantams have scaly leg might some really bad that ones bit lame I got told scrub there legs with soap and water even if scrub so they bleed a bit then dip there legs in sump oil but to me I sump oil seems a bit of a harsh thing to put on there legs I think will try tea tree oil and vasoleen rather then sump oil also want to ask is there a prevntive as I handreared my 7 lomenbrowns and now there old enough to go into big chook shed and really dont want them to get the same thing as my oldies chooks

Back
Top Bottom