Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
If you scrub their legs until they bleed and then apply tea tree oil, you are going to have some birds in pain..truly. Kinda needlessly harsh all the way around. You can soak their legs and feet in warm water, epsom salts and Dawn dishwashing liquid, scrub gently after soaking~not until they bleed!~ and then give them a soothing coating of castor oil. The castor oil can work as a preventative for your younger birds as well, as it's a natural insecticide.

I wouldn't do the soaking and scrubbing more than once every two weeks, to give the castor oil time to work. Reapply it when done with the soaking. When they have it so bad they are lame, it takes awhile to resolve from all accounts on this thread so you'll have to be patient. Castor oil can be purchased cheaply at any pharmacy and at Walmart. It is a mild antibiotic, antifungal and insecticidal that can help the scales heal and renew after the mites are resolved.

Hi I got oldies 15 bantams and I own 7 week olds lomenbrown chicks my bantams have scaly leg might some really bad that ones bit lame I got told scrub there legs with soap and water even if scrub so they bleed a bit then dip there legs in sump oil but to me I sump oil seems a bit of a harsh thing to put on there legs I think will try tea tree oil and vasoleen rather then sump oil also want to ask is there a prevntive as I handreared my 7 lomenbrowns and now there old enough to go into big chook shed and really dont want them to get the same thing as my oldies chooks

I think tea tree oil is toxic to chickens.

Yeah I seen few ppl on this thread say about about using tea tree oil I will try castor oil thx beekiss and fancychooklady I though scrubbing there legs to bled was inhumane to I couldnt do it I cant put down my sick animals I go to vet to euthines them so def couldnt hurt them

Yeah I seen few ppl on this thread say about about using tea tree oil I will try castor oil thx beekiss and fancychooklady I though scrubbing there legs to bled was inhumane to I couldnt do it I cant put down my sick animals I go to vet to euthines them so def couldnt hurt them

No one is trying to judge you, just trying to steer you in the right direction.:)
Never be afraid to ask questions. We all live and learn.

Yep...directly out of the tube, no dilution needed. You might massage the tube well before dispensing because the sulfur tends to settle in the bottom of the tube, leaving the mineral oil at the top, depending upon how it's been lying around.

Can I put Nu-Stock on my chickens feet directly out of the tube? Or do I need to dilute it?
It is best when used straight out of the tube, but since it sometimes turns to concrete in the tube, some people cut the tube open and put the contents in a jar so that it can be mixed if any of the ingredients separate out. You can always thin it with vaseline, but I would try to use it straight.

I found a bottle of Manna Pro Scaly Leg Mite Protector and sprayed the hens feet the past few days. Not sure how effective it is but I had it on hand so I thought I'd start with it. Catching the hens and spraying them was a challenge. I'd catch the first one just fine. But then the others would see me and know something was up and then I couldn't catch any of the other hens.

So I had an idea. Let them go to bed and spray their feet on the roost. BRILLIANT!!!

All the hens, I just touched their bellies and they stood up. Spray/Spray and done!

Why don't the books tell you these things.

big_smile.png
Maybe you've been reading the wrong books!

Back
Top Bottom