Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
Best way an old farmers way is though some people dont like because says could harm birds but been doing it years an never seen birds look distressed or look sick from doing it is get used sump oil from vehicle an kerosene an mix together to make.a paste use paint brush to apply, all over the legs apply probably once week though will only have do probably 2 applications or till gone thats for very bad cases if not to bad just apply petroleum jelly coat all over legs can use paint brush also the trick is to smother the mites if they get no air they die

Ja my hubbly used to use this as well but at the coast it is too moist to use it it worsenes the legs. I had a Vet who is interested in helping, not often here in Namibia, concerning chicken, and she gave me a dip containing 500ml Parafin and 1ml Ecomectin injection fluid for sheep and kettle. My chicken are dwarf chicken so none ways more than 1kg

is this leg mites? I found in the corner of box with a few more. This is the best pic I could get. I couldn't find anymore. I'm sure since tgere were 5-6 tgere is more. The girls have been refusing to roost and the only reason I really looked, was because one of my hens moved all the hay and slept on the wood. I never would have thought as we just gave them two doses of ivermax. Cleaned coop very well! Used poultry garden dust and DE. I though we were good but guess not. Just trying to figure out what mite/ lice this would be? Thank u for any info !! Seems we have been hit hard with a lot this season!

Red red fowl mite and they don't live on the bird, but in the wood of your coop, come out at night to feast on the flock. That's why they are refusing to roost. You need to treat the roost and the wood nearby with something~other than DE...won't do it~ so they cannot reach your birds. I've never had them but if I did, I'd get some pyrethrin spray and spray down the roosts and the walls they are connected to and keep that up every 2 wks or so. I'd also treat the birds with pyrethrin powder. This site says the red mites have become resistant to most chemical based treatments, but they didn't mention natural insecticides like pyrethrin. A chemical derivative of that is permethrin, easier to find but they may be resistant to it.

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2540&Itemid=2816

It's a good idea to get rid of any feed left out and only feed in single meals that are consumed at once.....red mites come from wild birds and mice that come to feed on the chicken feed, so eliminating the source of the problem will take out the vectors that are bringing these parasites into your coop. Any bird's nests on the buildings, tear 'em down and don't feed out in your run...it attracts wild birds. Don't let any feed spill or waste on the floor, it attracts mice and rats. Put out poison for those that might already exist there.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, they say.

Is this mites? I found a 5-6 little bugs on dried feces in coop. Sounds growsk but we just got done deworming so I have been checking everything. Any help would be great cause I can not find any more m. There has to be more somewhere and I'm dreading another weekend of deep cleaning or deworming. I take good care of them.

Last edited:
Red red fowl  mite and they don't live on the bird, but in the wood of your coop, come out at night to feast on the flock.  That's why they are refusing to roost.  You need to treat the roost and the wood nearby with something~other than DE...won't do it~ so they cannot reach your birds.  I've never had them but if I did, I'd get some pyrethrin spray and spray down the roosts and the walls they are connected to and keep that up every 2 wks or so.  I'd also treat the birds with pyrethrin powder.  This site says the red mites have become resistant to most chemical based treatments, but they didn't mention natural insecticides like pyrethrin.  A chemical derivative of that is permethrin, easier to find but they may be resistant to it. 

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2540&Itemid=2816

It's a good idea to get rid of any feed left out and only feed in single meals that are consumed at once.....red mites come from wild birds and mice that come to feed on the chicken feed, so eliminating the source of the problem will take out the vectors that are bringing these parasites into your coop.  Any bird's nests on the buildings, tear 'em down and don't feed out in your run...it attracts wild birds.  Don't let any feed spill or waste on the floor, it attracts mice and rats.  Put out poison for those that might already exist there. 

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, they say. 

Agree totally. The site also recommends ' spinosad ' , marketed in the USA as ' elector ' . It is a new age , organic insecticide . Can be used as a premise spray and or directly on the birds.

http://www.mapress.com/zoosymposia/content/2011/v6/f/v006p282-287.pdf

Agree totally. The site also recommends ' spinosad ' , marketed in the USA as ' elector ' . It is a new age , organic insecticide . Can be used as a premise spray and or directly on the birds.

http://www.mapress.com/zoosymposia/content/2011/v6/f/v006p282-287.pdf

I've seen the Elector at a local supply. At more than $100 USD a quart, it won't be in my barn anytime soon, haha. Emulsified concentrates are what I use as preventative premise treatment. I stagger the use of Permethrin, Rabon-Vapona, occasionally Malathion, and the birds have remained free of mites/lice for many years now. Older birds need to have their legs watched closely since they seem more susceptible to scaly leg mites. Roosts need treatment more often than the entire coop.

I've seen the Elector at a local supply. At more than $100 USD a quart, it won't be in my barn anytime soon, haha. Emulsified concentrates are what I use as preventative premise treatment. I stagger the use of Permethrin, Rabon-Vapona, occasionally Malathion, and the birds have remained free of mites/lice for many years now. Older birds need to have their legs watched closely since they seem more susceptible to scaly leg mites. Roosts need treatment more often than the entire coop.

Yes that is a little steep, but it is marketed under different labels and has many applications. It is sold under the label ' comfortis ' for flea control in dogs and cats.
You are very fortunate not to have visiting sparrows infecting your birds with lice and mites , some of us are not so fortunate.
It has taken me 5 years to get to the bottom of a bottle this size.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Conserve...724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566da0174c

Yes that is a little steep, but it is marketed under different labels and has many applications. It is sold under the label ' comfortis ' for flea control in dogs and cats.
You are very fortunate not to have visiting sparrows infecting your birds with lice and mites , some of us are not so fortunate.
It has taken me 5 years to get to the bottom of a bottle this size.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Conserve...724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566da0174c

Elector is 5x the strength of what you posted, so naturally the price is less. I have wild birds galore on my property. Sparrows, Robins, Finches, Jays, Crows, Vultures, Warblers, Canaries, Quail, are all common here. Never used Spinosad and still don't have mite problems. A Chicken is more likely to get scaly leg mites on range rather than the coop which is kept properly. If birds range where other wild birds exist, they will likely pick up mites. It is how well you pay attention to your birds, and the product safely used as a residual, which determines whether or not you prevent an infestation. I don't use dusts or watered down insecticides. I use emulsified concentrates. It has worked for decades without a sign of resistance from invertebrate pests.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom