Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics

If you will look at that last pic where it's titled "all the scale mites are dead and gone" you can clearly see that they are indeed NOT all dead and gone. Right at the ankle that bird still has raised, thickened scales and will likely get those scale mites right back. Sorry...cooking oil is just not going to cut it when someone has let them get that bad.

The parafin sounds like a really good idea. Where do you get it and how warm do you heat it up? I don't want to burn my girls legs.

Hi there,
don't give up it is quite a subject to get rid of scaly leg mites also depending on your weather conditions. We live at the coast and it took me ages to find something that works, but it does.
If you can get hold of Ecomectin, normally at a Vet or a place that sells Veterinary medicine than mix 650 ml of Parafin with 1 ml Ecomectin. Stir well and dip the legs once a week. The Parafin makes the scales smooth and the Ecomectin kills the mites. Good luck

WEll, here's something to note if you're using castor oil I bought a bottle, warmed it in hot water, and painted it on Valiant's legs and feet with a nice soft basting brush. Then I blotted off the excess with a paper towel. He liked it, didn't move a muscle, but he's a sweetheart anyway. Then I carried him over to his pen, which has straw bedding and a hard floor, and set him down. He took one step, slipped, and fell flat on his face. Whoops....
th.gif

I had to help him up, poor guy. That stuff is REALLY slippery. Hope I don't have to use it more than once or twice.....
hmm.png

That's why I use parafin it is not that sticky and slippery and my chicken have sand in their hatch which solves the problem anyway

It seems like there's a big improvement with just using the castor oil though. He might be ready to go back out with the flock today! (He says he is, lol).

It seems like there's a big improvement with just using the castor oil though. He might be ready to go back out with the flock today! (He says he is, lol).

The castor oil relieves the pain of inflammation while it's working on killing the mites and renewing the scale growth, so it's a pretty neat treatment. And it keeps on working long after you would expect it would be gone, as it absorbs into the scale and skin to help shed the old scales and promote new scale growth. I've never seen anything else to treat with that does all that and does it so fast. It even helped my gimpy old rooster's arthritis and helped his spurs grow up to an inch in just a few month's time(some idiot had clipped off his spurs close to his legs).

Back
Top Bottom