Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
Every case is different. I've never seen a case clear up JUST using Ivermectin. We have a hen now we've been treating for several weeks. Her Scales have fallen off.....finallly..but she's still limping. It took a long time for the scales to fall off, and we used Ivermectin, but, obviously, you can't use it very often.

Do you think it would work to dunk the chickens legs in olive oil with added tea tree oil and peppermint oil? I have 30 chickens to treat. I took one girl, soaked her legs in warm water, dunked her legs in olive oil, then lathered with Vaseline. I'm not sure I can do that with all 30. They don't have it too bad yet and I want to stop it before it gets bad. I was thinking of taking the container with olive oil and tea tree/peppermint oil added to it out to the coop in the evening once they all go to roost and dipping them in it, one at a time, then letting them air dry. Thoughts?

Hello all,

wow a lot of comments about this subject I have read nearly all of them and this is what I have come up with so far. I bought turkeys and chickens this year after finding out the broad breasted bronze turkeys would not breed I looked into other turkeys and found bourbon reds. I wanted to get a few more turkeys and I found someone that did not take very good care of these 3 hens 2 of the 3 were not even walking and their toes were all bent in different directions, found out that is just an incubation problem. before I bought them I asked why their scales were raised and they said vit. deffiency so I ended up getting them. they were with my chickens for about 20 hours before I found out it was SLM's. I immediately spayed them down with tree tea oil and coated them with Vaseline. I have been doing this twice a day for the last 3 days and 2 of the 3 are moving much much better now. the one girl is getting there but she had it the worst. Yesterday I ran out of the tree tea oil so I used mineral oil then Vaselined.

my questions are-

some people say you have to clean the coop and spread DE around. they were only in there for 20 hours before being treated, do you think I need to clean the coop? my vet says they will only transfer from contact and they never roosted and my chickens are scared to death of the 3 turkeys so they never made contact.

what is DE?

Am I on the right path?

DE is Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) and a lot of people like it because it's believed to control parasites. Some say it does not. It's nice to use in the dust bath ,regardless, though. I have never cleaned the living quarters entirely because one bird had scaly leg mites. IMO it seems that certain birds get it, and some don't. Anyway, take it easy on the Tea Tree Oil, as I BELIEVE it might be toxic in large quantities.

Okay well I hope they will be fine, I used two bottles of the tree tea oil already I don't have anymore but Friday and Saturday I went through a small bottle each day. I have the mineral oil and the Vaseline so I will just keep on using that every day until my nu-stock comes in. Seeing as their toes are all bent around maybe I should put 2x4's up for a roosts instead of the tree limbs I have now, I don't think they will be able to grab the limb very well...

Back
Top Bottom