Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
Hi all, I have just realised that my hen who has just hatched five babies has a bad dose of the scale leg mite - what would the best suggestion be for her and the chicks please? Thank you

User an old toothbrush with warm soapy water and scrub them up. Maybe add a couple drops of peppermint or tea tree oil to the water. Afterwards, dry her legs and coat them in oil (I use vegetable)

There are alot of different methods, I like your thinking....Quick, Easy, and well, Safe!
I rescued a chicken with a really bad case and this is what I did. It only took one round and it was GONE!
First I bathed and soaked the chicken (you could just do the legs and they LOVE it!) in an herbal flea shampoo. I used a tooth brush and lightly brushed her feet and shanks. This does 2 things: softens the skin and loosens the mites and mite dirt, then it treats the area to help it heal.
Next I put Campho-Phenique on her legs, completely covering her shanks. I also treated all my other chickens with the Campho, just in case.
Now that really took care of it, but I re-treated with the Campho in 10 days and then 14 days after. Just to be sure.
With this method there is NO egg contamination.
GOOD LUCK!!!
big_smile.png
most excellent idea ..!! this was some good thinking ..!!! in fact this is the best idea so far for sure , and first starting with the herbal flea soap wash that was a great idea:yesss: then to follow up with the Campho-Phenique what was just brilliant ..!! :D:clap i must say...!!!! :thumbsup you get 10 Stars from me and a BIG THANKS :highfive: i just ordered some Campho-Phenique on amazon they had a good price for the liqiud Campho-Phenique 3/4 ounce for around $5.00 & free ship, so i just ordered it , im so glad you posted this info..!!! i had forgotten about Campho-Phenique but its truly a great old remedy for most any thing..!!!!! i noticed a bit of ruff leg skin on 2 birds i got from a breeder , so im gonna do this treatment :yesss: & hoping i can keep my flock from getting it. :th but knowing the ingredients in both these things suggested , i believe it will be a fast and easy cure. i will post my results, & THANKS again ..!!!:frow o and for hard to handle birds, i think the least we could do in that situation is try to use a cooking oil spray & coating the legs well , this we used on a very mean roo that had to be kept in a pen for every ones safety HA :p that was years ago & was a good choice if you cant in any way handle the bird safely ;)

Is this leg mites? I have treared with epsom salt soak and vaselibe 3 times in the last two weeks. I separated her in the last 4 days during the day and put her back on the roost for the night, but she went to the top and I think it hurts to come down do tonight she sleeps in a large box in the basement. She came from a farm where they had too many birds. Here is the picture from today after I scrubbed it with an electric tooth brush.

Attachments

• IMG_6609.JPG
    IMG_6609.JPG
    532.1 KB · Views: 38
These were taken 3 days ago. There are hard growths on the top of the leg close to the feathers and she is missing feathers on the underside too but she does not have red or irritated skin there.

Attachments

• IMG_6584.JPG
    IMG_6584.JPG
    631.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6587.JPG
    IMG_6587.JPG
    473.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6588.JPG
    IMG_6588.JPG
    478.5 KB · Views: 38
Is this leg mites? I have treared with epsom salt soak and vaselibe 3 times in the last two weeks. I separated her in the last 4 days during the day and put her back on the roost for the night, but she went to the top and I think it hurts to come down do tonight she sleeps in a large box in the basement. She came from a farm where they had too many birds. Here is the picture from today after I scrubbed it with an electric tooth brush.

These were taken 3 days ago. There are hard growths on the top of the leg close to the feathers and she is missing feathers on the underside too but she does not have red or irritated skin there.
Yes, that's leg mites. That's build up and excrement from the mites. It is likely quite painfully. My first birds were that bad when I noticed my first winter. It can be cleaned up. It sounds like you're doing the right things. It will take a bit to get past the crusts to get back down to the scales.:)

Back
Top Bottom