Scaly Leg Mites - Need Best / Easiest / Quickest Solution - Scaley

Pics
hi guys i recently picked up 2 white rock bantam hens that i am hoping to use for 4-H. one of them has a few problems but they both have a mild case of scaly leg mites. i have been treating with the motor oil and the petroleum jelly techniques. i have been doing this for about a month now and the one hen is almost all better but the other still has it. just wondering how long it takes to get rid of and if they grow new scales in mild cases.

hi guys i recently picked up 2 white rock bantam hens that i am hoping to use for 4-H. one of them has a few problems but they both have a mild case of scaly leg mites. i have been treating with the motor oil and the petroleum jelly techniques. i have been doing this for about a month now and the one hen is almost all better but the other still has it. just wondering how long it takes to get rid of and if they grow new scales in mild cases.
mild case should be well in a month. you should use a toothbrush and soak the leg in warm water with epsom salt for a few minutes, then brush it with the toothbrush. dry and slather with vaseline. scales will grow back but you probably won't see them until next spring. i wonder though, if the scales fell off and you are still dealing with it that it isn't really a mild case.

i haven't seen any scales fall off and i definitely see improvement. i will pick up some epsom salt on Wednesday hopefully. i do notice some dirtish coloured stuff under the scales. is that dead mites/scales or is it just dirt. also the colour of the scales that are more raised up is a grey and not the usual yellow. there legs where bright yellow when the got them.

Yes it is mite poop and dead mites. With brushing it will clear off eventually. The protocol I mentioned says to do it once a week. I did it every 3-4 days and it cleared very quickly. The hen that was the most severe took a month to clear and the skin started to get better. I was told the scales do not grow back immediately but over a season. I would expect to see new scales in the spring. As long as the skin gets back to normal, the scales should follow soon.

hi me again:) . i picked up some Epsom salt how much salt do i put in for 1 cup of water? the instructions on the bag are fore humans should i just go with what it says?

hi me again:) . i picked up some Epsom salt how much salt do i put in for 1 cup of water? the instructions on the bag are fore humans should i just go with what it says?
I never measure it, just dump a good amount in the water. In a cup about one teaspoon.

Back
Top Bottom