Scaly Leg Mites?

dreamer5577

Songster
10 Years
May 16, 2011
Pennsylvania

I have never had any experience with scaly leg mites and was treating a case of bumble foot in my flock and checking everyone else when I noticed my silkie too had different looking leg scales than everyone else. I have never seen a chicken with this problem before and after googling photos I think that he may have this. Just wanted a second opinion.

Yes. It seems to affect older roosters more so than hens. This case isn't to bad. But will get worse if not treated. Severe cases the scales will stand right up and eventually fall off even if treated at times the scales will not lay back down.

Way I treated for it was to take a jar of Vaseline. Heat in microwave till liquidy pour in a couple tablespoons of permethrin and stir til it cools and solidify. This will last you forever. Just liberally apply to the leg shanks and toes. You may want to apply a couple times. Do this at night so he us on the roost and the Vaseline has chance to absorb in yo scales without picking up dirt and debris

Probably best to treat whole flock, I usually do. You can get sprays from the store for convenience but I also use the vaseline because it's cheap and effective. I apply once a week, normally for 3 weeks running.

Probably best to treat whole flock, I usually do. You can get sprays from the store for convenience but I also use the vaseline because it's cheap and effective. I apply once a week, normally for 3 weeks running.

Oh! only once a week? So I don't need to treat it every day?

You could do it more often but it soaks in and stays on the legs a few days. You need to do it for long enough to break the life cycle when mite eggs hatch, not sure how long this is. I don't do anything special to prevent it, not sure what I could do apart from make the coop wild bird proof in case they bring it in. Maybe someone else has a good prevention strategy?

Back
Top Bottom