7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
Is this scaly leg mites?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230928_174847_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230928_174847_Gallery.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 93
It could be, early. How old is the bird? There is no risk in oiling the legs and covering with vaseline to get them if it is. It also could just be dryness, the oil and vaseline will help that too. I've had some older birds get rough looking legs also, that's why I asked age.

It could be, early. How old is the bird? There is no risk in oiling the legs and covering with vaseline to get them if it is. It also could just be dryness, the oil and vaseline will help that too. I've had some older birds get rough looking legs also, that's why I asked age.

I have no clue, Im thinking she's an older bird. I got her just this past Saturday at a swap meet. I just cleaned her legs and put vaseline on them. I'll post a close up of her legs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230928_182920_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230928_182920_Gallery.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 55
That angle looks more like probably the mites, I do see some scale loss. Do the oil and vaseline a few times a week until they start to look better. An initial soaking in epsom salts or warm mild soapy water and a gentle scrub with a very soft toothbrush will help loosen any hardened detrius from the mites. But do be gentle, don't damage the tissue. The toothbrush can also help to work some of the oil under any of the raised scales.

That angle looks more like probably the mites, I do see some scale loss. Do the oil and vaseline a few times a week until they start to look better. An initial soaking in epsom salts or warm mild soapy water and a gentle scrub with a very soft toothbrush will help loosen any hardened detrius from the mites. But do be gentle, don't damage the tissue. The toothbrush can also help to work some of the oil under any of the raised scales.
Thank you! I will be very gentle.

Back
Top Bottom