Scared the eggs out of her??

1newchickontheblock

Songster
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
Eastern MA
4 of my feathered friends were closed out of the coop last night, as the auto door closed early because of overcast skies. I went out to check on them @ 10pm, and 3 were huddled on the ramp, 1 was on a stump roost. (the run is all enclosed, so they were safe, at least) They looked very scared, however, and when I shined the flashlight, saw 1 broken egg and another on the ground, under the RIR. Weird! Well, I put them inside, went to scoop up the broken egg, and there was essentially no shell. The other egg was very soft - like a water balloon. SO strange! My question (finally!): Is it possible these chickens were so scared that they dropped the eggs they were developing for laying the next day? (kind of like "scaring the s**t" out of someone!?) Any thoughts on this bizarre finding?
idunno.gif
Thanks!

I guess it is possible. My red sex links do this on occasion. Maybe once every few months or so I will find a soft egg beneath their roost. If it doesn't happen again for some time I would just say it is a natural occurrence. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom