Scaredy Chickens!

taykenn7

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Mebane, NC
I am a new (and thoroughly addicted) chicken owner. I have 8 ameraucana chicks that I have raised from day olds. They are now 5 weeks old but instead of getting more comfortable around me they seem more flighty than ever! It is becoming near impossible to catch them and put them into their chicken tractor for some time in the sun! Originally they were all quite brave and comfortable but now if one gets worked up the others all follow suit. I always bring them some goodies when I check on them and try to make my appearance a pleasant experience. I am becoming worried that once they are allowed out of the coop they will not return to it at night because they will be running from me! Does anyone have any insight?!

I also have 3 australorps and 3 buff orpingtons (now 3 weeks old) they seem much less perturbed about being picked up/moved.

Thank you!

Don't let them have the treats unless they come to you for them. They'll change their mind about you when they see you as a walking bird feeder. Try to spend as much time as you can around them too. I even sit with my chickens in the grass sometimes
big_smile.png
and hand feed them weeds from the garden.

I agree with the last poster. And try to use extra special treats. Mine go nuts for spaghetti or any kind of noodle - but don't give them too much. Worms and bugs are good too. Just as they copy each other when one is afraid, once one walks up to you to grab a treat you will be covered in chickens.

As for getting them to go in at night, my experience has been that they will go in with or without your help. They naturally seek out a safe place at night so once they are used to your coop they will go back to it. ideally you get them used to the coop for at least a few days before letting them loose. Once you see them put themselves to bed like good chickens, they by most chances you can safely let them out and they will go back to the coop where they feel safe. The first few times you let them out, do it an hour or so before dusk, so that you only have to deal with them being loose an hour or so before they put themselves to bed and it will make it easier for you to make sure they make it to the coop.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom